Perfect for a getaway, Saskatoon Cottage is a one bedroom cottage set in the grounds of Saskatoon, a Heritage Listed garden.
The lounge room is cosy and comfortable and has extensive views of the garden. There is a gas log fire, TV, DVD, CD player and AM/FM radio, iPod/iPhone dock and a range of DVDs, books and games for you to use, possibly while enjoying a drop of our complimentary port.
A continental breakfast of home baked bread and fresh fruit is provided for the first morning. There is a separate eat-in kitchen with a gas stove, microwave, toaster, fridge and sink and coffee machine. We also provide the essentials: tea, coffee, milk, butter, jam, sugar and condiments. For dinner check out our favourite restaurants, bars and cafés, or cook up a storm on the BBQ under the pergola.
Accommodation is for up to two couples, with a queen size bed with cotton sheets, cotton blanket, down doona and electric blankets, and an en suite with thick, soft towels and excellent heating for cold mountain mornings. There is a double sofabed in the lounge room if required an additional fee applies.
Please note: ONE NIGHT STAYS are available at Saskatoon Cottage just $230.00 per night.
The cottage will be closed for bathroom renovations from August 24 and reopening September 18, 2017.
Late checkout is available.
Special occasion? Choose our celebration package to help you make it memorable with hand made local chocolates, fresh flowers and a bottle of wine for an extra charge of $75.
Saskatoon Cottage is not suitable for children over the age of 1.
The cottage is a strictly non smoking area.
About the cottage and garden
The cottage is set well away from the house and offers privacy and excellent views of the garden. There is ample off street parking.
Designed in 1946, Saskatoon is a fine example of Paul Sorensen's cool climate garden design, incorporating mature copper beech trees, oaks, maples and silver birch, as well as azaleas, rhododendrons, a woodland walk and a moss walk. The flowering cherry in the front garden is splendid. The garden is spectacular all year round and is absolutely magnificent in spring and autumn. It is tranquil, spacious and has abundant bird life.
Paul Sorensen 1890 - 1983 was a landscape gardener born and trained in Denmark. He had experience working in gardens in Denmark, Germany, France and Switzerland, some of which were in large estates with extensive grounds. He arrived in Australia in 1915 and settled in the Blue Mountains in 1917.
Sorensen is recognised as an accomplished landscape gardener having either designed or influenced the design of many gardens in New South Wales. He was celebrated for his distinctive designs and his mastery of the use of the dry stone wall technique combined with a skill in managing dramatic changes of levels in gardens. He is reported as being extremely versatile with skills in design, propagation, planting and the building and maintenance of gardens of a wide range of size and style.
Saskatoon Cottage is opposite the Leura golf course, a 5 minute walk to Everglades Gardens and a short walk to bushwalks, views and Leura Mall's shops, cafes and restaurants. The local bus to adjoining townships and local attractions runs past the front door.
- Bushwalks - www . bluemts . com . au / info / thingstodo / bushwalks
- Magnificent valley views
- Leura Mall
- Leura Cascades
- Everglades Gardens - just around the corner
- Sublime Point Lookout - at the end of the road
- Leuralla Toy and Railway Museum
- Wentworth Falls, Katoomba Three Sisters and Blackheath
- The Scenic Railway the world's steepest incline railway with a gradient of 52 degrees
- A little further afield lie the Jenolan Caves 3+ hour return trip
Our favourite restaurants, bars and cafés:
- Unique Patisserie - Katoomba Malaysian/French, $
- Leura Garage - Leura café/brunch, $$
- Rubyfruit - Leura vegan, $
- Cortado - Lawson café, $
- Sanwiye - Katoomba Korean, $
- Ashcrofts - Blackheath contemporary European, $$
- Vesta - Blackheath International, $$
- Silk's - Leura modern Australian, $$$
- Teapot Museum - Leura high tea, $$
- Katoomba Brewing Company and Bar - Katoomba bar, $$
- Lawson Cake Shop - Lawson bakery, $
- Bakehouse on Wentworth - Leura/Blackheath bakery, $
A spot of shopping?
- Faulconbridge Farm - Faulconbridge antiques/vintage
- Pink Flamingo - Hazelbrook antiques/vintage
- Victory Theatre Antique Centre - Blackheath antique/vintage
- Magpie Markets - Lawson
- CWA Markets - Leura
- Rotary Markets - Glenbrook
- Mountain Craft Markets - Blackheath
- Regional Markets - Lithgow
Local artisanal products to try:
- Josephan's Chocolate - Leura
- Casey's Vineyard - Oberon
- Pine Crest Orchard - Bilpin
- Bakehouse on Wentworth - Leura
- Jannei Cheesemakers - Lithgow
- Katoomba Brewing Company and Bar
- Carrington Cellars - Leura - gourmet deli products and local boutique wines
- Pétanque boules in the garden
- Yoga at Mountains Meditation Yoga up the road
- Golf across the road
- Massages at the Fairmont