"This would have to be one of the most pleasant gardens that we have seen in the world' and we have been to 75 countries"
Ron & Julie
"This is the most spectacular garden I've ever been in, it is simply beautiful"
"Just gorgeous, the garden looks like something from a movie"
"This is our dream forever'
Des & Denise"
"It was a dream come true for both of us to get engaged in this magical place"
Rhys & Emily
"We had the most enjoyable stay, and thoroughly enjoyed the estates gardens, beauty and serenity"
Come and discover the magic yourself, make a reservation in one of our cottages, book a function or just visit the garden when we are open next.
From the moment one enters the drive leading to the beautiful house, all the stresses and the worries of the mundane daily grind is left behind. You are instead welcomed by the many varieties of birds which are resident to the 24 acres of established gardens of historical significance.
Cherry Cottage is a cosy, self-contained cottage with a loft bedroom which sleeps 2 adults. The loft bedroom which is located upstairs has a generous King Sized bed, which can also be set up as Twin Beds. Luxury Robes are provided in each bedroom. All linen and towels are also provided.
Cherry Cottage has an open fireplace downstairs in the open plan living area with a garden view; an ideal place to start the breakfast after a good night's sleep away from the hustle and bustle of the stresses of the city and the suburbs.
Ideal for a couple for a weekend retreat, or for a family get together to celebrate a special occasion in a beautiful garden setting.
Cherry Cottage is part of the magnificent historic Dennarque Estate. As part of the historic garden estate of "Dennarque", access to the magnificent 24 acres of established gardens with manicured lawns is included.
Attached to the Historic Garden Estate "Dennarque"
Dennarque was built in the late 1870s by Edward Merewether who came to NSW from England in 1838. Merewether held a number of important government positions in NSW including Aide-de-Camp to the Governor, Commissioner for Crown Lands and Clerk of the Executive Council. The Newcastle suburb of Merewether is named after him.
Edward's wife, Augusta, was the sister of David Scott Mitchell of the Mitchell Library. The Merewethers had a large family of ten children and regularly stayed in the Blue Mountains for summer. Around 1875 Edward wrote he was 'going to a place styled Mt Wilson'. He was thinking of buying a block of land and a building 'a small cottage'.
Whilst he did initially build a modest house on what is now Mt Wilson's Silva Plana Reserve, his Dennarque was completed in late 1879. It is the most substantial of the eight founding residences in Mt Wilson and the first of only two built from stone, all of which was quarried from nearby. It is said that the name, Dennarque, was chosen by Merewether because it was the Aboriginal name for one of the tree fern species native to the area.
Dennarque's position offered a magnificent view from the balcony on the south side through the native forest and tree ferns to Mt Victoria in the distance.
Merewether engaged Charles Moore to advise him on the design of the garden. Moore was at that time the director of the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, a position he held for 48 years. He was credited with developing much of the Botanic Garden we see today, including the Palm Grove and the reclaimed land behind the Farm Cove seawall.
After Merewether's death in 1893, Dennarque was sold to a Flora Mann whose son, Frederick, was a well-known potter. Some examples of his work are held in the Sydney Powerhouse Museum. Flora's family inherited the property on her death in 1921 and leased it to Rose Edwards and her daughter Mary, a talented artist. During their tenancy it became known as Wildflower Hall, a guest house whole distinguished visitors stayed including the then Governor of NSW, Sir Philip Game and Lady Game, and Sir Bertram Stephens, the Premier of NSW. Today in the garden two stone plaques commemorate both Sir Philip's and Sir Bertram's stay.
Post war, Dennarque was owned by several families who maintained the houses and garden without any significant changes until 1979 when the property was sold to William Maston. The gardens were then greatly extended under the guidance of Phil Harris, a well-known local horticulturalist.
The current owners purchased Dennarque in 2003, making sympathetic alterations to the house and further extending the garden, whilst maintaining and improving all its original features. In 2006 they purchased 'Koonawarra', the neighbouring property that was originally part of Dennarque. They have incorporated it back into the beautiful garden, and you have the special privilege to visit the historical garden as part of your stay at Koonawarra.
Comfort of the Cottage
Cherry Cottage has a full functioning Kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, cooking facilities, plunger coffee, eating at a table for 4. Crockery, cutlery and saucepans are also equipped in the kitchen.
The laundry is equipped with a washing machine, clothes dryer, steam iron, ironing board.
The property has an open fireplace, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
In addition to the magnificent gardens, Cherry Cottage also features a garden pavilion, a tennis court, outdoor gas BBQ facilities, Pizza Oven, Rotisserie, a newly established Japanese Garden, and a Helipad on site.
The gardens have been featured in CNC Xinhua TV, an English language Chinese network in Sydney, in their Global Visitor travel program.
The gardens have been featured in the June/July 2014 Belle Magazine.
The gardens have been featured in the Blue Mountains Life magazine, 2014.