"You are closer to nature in the Country,
Humans beings were never meant to live too far from nature, we become depressed and bewildered if we stay in our cities for too long, alienated from the seasons". (Jasper Conrad)
Rydal is a quaint little village just beyond the Blue Mountains which was named after the English village of Rydal where the poet William Wordsworth lived for many years. For two weekends in September, Rydal hosts a daffodil festival to raise funds for local charities.
The Owl Pen Cottage has two bedrooms, sleeps 2 -4 guests (beds fitted with electric blankets - all linen provided).
Our cosy lounge room has a wood burning fire, plus gas heating and Foxtel is available.
The bathroom has a relaxing spa bath, and the kitchen is fully equipped with all the modern conveniences, plus a pantry stocked with essentials (complimentary).
There is a lovely sunroom overlooking the garden, the perfect spot to curl up and read a book, or spy on the birds as they go about their daily business.
A pontoon situated over the Goose Lake is the ideal location to enjoy an outdoor breakfast or sip on your favourite beverage and soak up the sunset.
Garden lovers, birdwatchers, artists and photographers will be inspired by this picturesque setting.
The surrounding native bush provides lovely walks and bike rides. Try your hand at trout fishing or canoeing in nearby Lake Lyell and Lake Wallace, or four (4) wheeling driving in the nearby forest, alternatively take a leisurely drive to a local cafe or country pub for lunch.
The Owl Pen Cottage was built in 1832 as a kitchen for the historic Queen Victoria Inn, and was situated on the Cobb and Co route to Bathurst.
Today, it is surrounded by 9 acres of cool climate garden with two ornamental lakes, which are home to the resident geese and ducks. The expansive garden changes with the seasons and has been featured in several magazines including Country Style, Australian Country, Central West Lifestyle, Australia Garden Clubs Magazine and Burkes Backyard Magazine and TV.
It is the perfect location to explore the towns of Bathurst, Orange and Mudgee (wineries, galleries etc) and only 40 minutes from the gorgeous village of Leura and the attractions of the Blue Mountains.
Come and enjoy the peace and tranquility of this very special place.
We are pet friendly with some conditions (please consult with owners).
The train from Sydney comes through Rydal at 10am each day, arrangements can be made to collect visitors from the Station (it departs at 6 pm each evening).
Visit the garden in Spring when we open for the Daffodils at Rydal Festival (middle two weekend of September)
THINGS TO DO:
Visit Jenolan Caves - 35 mins
Truffle hunting or hunt and lunch on a sunday ( June / July / August )
Mayfield gardens in Oberon - spectacular ! see website for open times
Blue mountains tourist attractions 35 - 40 mins
Small arms museum - Lithgow ph: ( informal guided tours available weekends / public holidays )
Lithgow state mine heritage park -
Glow worm caves
Zig Zag Brewery
Pick saffron milkcap mushrooms and Bolete
( oberon pineforest in Autumn early winter )
Visit historic Eskbank house in Lithgow
Visit wineries in Bathurst, Orange or Mudgee or take a day tour from lithgow -
Daffodil festival - open gardens Rydal on 2nd and 3rd weekends in September
Refreshing , clean mountain air and great walks on the property
Visit local country pubs and cafes
Visit Japanese and mineral baths Tea and bath house near lake lyell ( massage available )
Visit Mt Wilson's spectacular gardens
Farmers markets - Oberon first sat of the month / Blackheath 2nd sunday of month / Lithgow 3rd sunday
Sit back in our lovely country garden and enjoy the sound of silence, read a book and relax
Min 2 night stay
Min 3 night stay long weekends
Terms and Conditions of Temporary Holiday Accommodation
“Booking” means the period for which you have paid to stay at the Property.?“Property” means The Owl Pen Cottage and it’s surrounds and all its fixtures, fittings and equipment.?“Management” means the owners and caretaker of the Property.?"Guests" means the persons who stay overnight in the Property during the Booking.?"Visitor" means a person a Guest permits to visit the Property during the Booking.
2. ACCEPTANCE & RESPONSIBILITY.
• Payment of the Deposit constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
3. CHECK IN/ OUT
• Check-in time is not before 11am on the arrival date and check out time is not later than 11am on departure date.
• Late departure is subject to prior arrangement and availability and extra charges will apply.
• Please notify Owners of expected arrival time and a mobile contact number at least 2 days before arrival.
• Key collection/return procedure will be as follows key will be in the door of the cottage unless special arrangements have been made prior to arrival.
• 4. PAYMENT?balance (if full amount has not been paid prior to arrival) is required to be paid upon arrival.
• 5. CANCELLATION OR VARIATION?
• If you wish to vary or cancel your Booking please contact us immediately on
• Your deposit is non-refundable in the event of a cancellation.
• We have a minimum nights stay policy of two (2) nights. No refund will be made for a variation to the extent that it breaches our minimum nights stay policy.
• You are responsible for any damage, loss or expense incurred by Owners as a result of your breach of these Terms & Conditions will be charged accordingly. Examples of this include but are not limited to any breakage, damage or excess cleaning requirements, extra guests beyond those declared.
• If the Property becomes unavailable for your occupancy due to unforeseen circumstances (eg. fire, storm, damage, etc) then Management will inform you immediately and endeavour to obtain suitable alternative accommodation for your occupancy; failing which any moneys paid will be refunded in full.
8. PARTIES & FUNCTIONS
• Either Parties and Functions are strictly prohibited.
• Breach of this condition may result in immediate termination and eviction without refund and extra charges for security, cleaning, garbage removal, wear and tear, repairs etc.
• 9. LINEN AND TOWELS
• We supply linen, pillows, blankets and towels which must be left where supplied in the bedrooms or bathroom on departure.
• Pets are allowed at the Property. Pet owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets both within and outside the property. Pets are not allowed on furniture or carpeted areas at any time. Any evidence of pets on furniture may incur extra cleaning fees.
11. YOUR OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
• You must comply with all applicable Stayz House Rules and all instructions from the Owner and the caretakers of the Property concerning occupancy, property, health, safety and quiet enjoyment of the Property.
• You are responsible for damage, breakages, theft and loss of the Property and any part of it during your stay. You must notify us of this immediately. Owner may recover from you repair or replacement cost (at Owners discretion)
• Only the guests nominated and agreed in the Booking may stay in the Property over night. If any other guests stay extra charges may apply or the agreement may be terminated without refund.
• Before departure, all food must be removed from fridges, all rubbish put in the appropriate?council rubbish bins provided, and crockery and cutlery washed and packed away. The Property must be left in a clean and tidy condition.
• All furniture and furnishings must be left in the position they were in when you arrived
• The property should be vacated on time and secured. All windows and doors are to be locked. All keys must be returned to Owners or as otherwise directed.
• Smoking is not permitted in the Property
12. PROBLEMS OR COMPLAINTS
• In the case of any problem or complaint, you must inform the Owners at the earliest opportunity so Owner has the chance to rectify the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible. You must allow repair/service access to the property during reasonable hours.