This property is proudly managed by The Holiday Rental Specialists - Highlands Holidays
Altona was built right in the centre of town in 1905 initially to house a live-in policeman and his seven children - as it then took a full day on horseback from the main police station in Moss Vale to arrest duelling miners, timber fellers and railway workers fuelled by grog supplied by the newly opened pub. Over time the house was also used as the Savings Bank, Post Office and Electoral Office which accounts for its peculiar key system making it very difficult to break into Today you can enjoy modern conveniences and all the Highlands have to offer from this charming residence steeped in history, a mere 1.5 hours’ drive from Sydney.
The house comprises 4 bedrooms: The Yellow Room was the policeman's entrance and his office. The Gold Room appropriately named was the Bank, PO and Electoral Office. The Red and Green Rooms were the personal space of Constable White and his family. The laundry and mudroom were part of the original Altona but the kitchen and two bathrooms have been modernised and are fully equipped for your comfort and convenience. The former back verandah has been enclosed and now houses a 12 seat dining table for your guests to enjoy a feast together. The original stone floor of the jail remains outside and now hosts one of the two outdoor dining settings. The original stables now have hot and cold running water to a vanity no bathroom and house a queen bed and a bunk bed - ideal for an extra couple or a teenage sleepout.
Enjoy the central location. Altona is set right in town and is walking distance to the Community Centre where regular functions are held ranging from tango to movies, monthly piano mornings and farmer’s markets. Solar Springs with amazing facilities is available for a small fee up the hill. Near the RSL are playing fields and a swimming pool. The train station is just across the road and there are cafes either side of the house. This is the ideal accommodation for many of the local cycle races, car rallies and collectors’ gatherings, not to mention Brigadoon and Highland Flings, when Bundanoon, the seat of ex-patriot Scots becomes the crowning glory of the Highlands. Bowral, Berrima and other notable Highland villages are all within 20-minute radius of this lively character filled village that is Bundanoon.
The house features: -
Altona has been lovingly restored over the generations, has recently been used as a Collectors Gallery and still houses antiques, photos and a remarkable book and record collection. Some items are for sale and the contact details of the owner are available at the house for any further discussion or purchase.
• 4 bedrooms with individual heaters
• 2 bathrooms 1 with bath
• living room with open fireplace and DVD/CD players, Blu Tooth and other music players
• dining room with 50 inch free to air TV, Foxtel and gas log fire
• fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, microwave and coffee machine
• separate sleepout for up to 4 additional guests additional charge, key provided when booked and paid for
Bedroom Configuration: -
• Gold Room - king bed
• Red Room - queen Bed
• Yellow Room - king bed
• Green Room - queen bed
• Stables - 1 queen bed and 1 bunk bed outside the main house, vanity with hot and cold water but no bathroom – sleeps up to 4
Please note there is an additional cost of $50 per person per night for the stables and also the double sofa bed in the main sitting room of the house all of which must be booked and paid for at time of booking in order to gain access.
Distances to: -
• 5 m to Bundanoon Village
• 120 m to Bundanoon Railway Station
• 220 m Bicycle shop
• 290 m to Solar Springs Spa
• 1 km to Glow Worm Glen
• 1 km to Moreton Park walking trails
• 1.1 km to Quest for Life and village gardens
• 6.1 km to Exeter Village Store and Café
• 9.1 km to Sally's Corner and Maur vineyard
• 9.2 km to Buddhist Monastery
• 9.7 km to Penrose
• 10.6 km to Montrose Berry Farm
• 11.7 km to Sutton Forest Pub and open Garden markets
• 13 km to Sylvan Glen
• 21.6 km to Bowral
• 29 km to Fitzroy Falls
• 51 km to Bungonia Park and village
• 118 km to Sydney
• 170 km to Canberra
We can also provide the following on request: -
• Porta cot plus linen for $10 per night max $30
• Rollaway plus linen for $40 a night min 2 nights
• Highchair for $7 per night max $21
Contact HRS directly to book and pay for any of the above extras.
All linen is supplied for your stay and included in the tariff.
Cleaning is included in the tariff at this property.
• Out of peak season stays of a week or more may qualify for a discount, please call us to discuss.
• Sorry we are NOT pet friendly
• If you book you will receive the directions to the property and access details 1 day prior to your arrival date.
• There is a back to base alarm installed on Altona for police fire and ambulance in case of emergencies
• This property will consider bookings for "schoolies". However, these bookings can only be made by contacting HRS directly - a comprehensive guest registration form must be completed prior to confirmation and a $2000 cash bond is payable 7 days prior to the stay.
• For your added security, this property is managed by Holiday Rental Specialists – a Licenced Real Estate Agent with offices in Bowral, Berry and Culburra Beach, Australia. We will never request payments be made to an overseas bank account and your money is held safely in our Trust Account until after your departure.
“The property is very interesting and beds are very comfortable.”
Judith, October 2016
“A very comfortable well equipped house. We enjoyed the ambience, art works and many treasures. Excellent location”
Tanya, August 2016