SOUTHDOWN COTTAGE - WINNER 2014 - EXCELLENCE IN ACCOMMODATION
- totally self-contained Is one of 4 cottages, provides you with an entry to an original historic Southern Highlands property and just 2 minutes drive to the centre of Bowral.
The cottage has been lovingly restored from its days as a bunk house for children when "Southdown" was run as a riding school from 1920 to 1960.
It has a queen bedroom with ensuite upstairs over looking a long pond, hedged cottage garden rooms of roses, camellias etc.
Downstairs has 2 king singles (or a king bed for a couple on request with ensuite.
There is a fully equipped kitchen, lounge / dining area with a window seat to sit and watch the colourful bird life amongest the garden
SOUTHDOWN COTTAGE - is ideal for a family or 2 couples and will give you a most relaxing and memorable stay.
A 2 day complementary basket breakfast is provided.
Wood basket for the fireplace in winter is $35 extra
The cottage is not suitable for the elderly or infurmed.
- " Thank you for such a wonderful experience. Lovely gardens and location. Everything we needed for a pleasant stay was available" - Dixon's & Sosnaski's
- "What a way to enjoy a few days in the Southern Highlands. Beautiful gardens, cosy cottage & a roaring fire. We will be back" The Burgess Family.
- "Thank you for such a wonderful stay! The cottage is just so charming and had everything we needed for a great few days. See you again. Love the gardens too" Annette, Anna & Simon.
- "What a beautiful relaxing getaway! From the delightful & wonderfully stocked cottage to the breathtaking gardens, it was an experience beyond what we could have hoped for. Thank you so much for such an enjoyable stay. PS. the chickens (especially Napoliette) are georgous! And - Alex was such a pleasure to deal with!" - Sam, Haley & Jill Stoddart
- "The cottage is like a warm hug. We loved our stay - very thoughtfully appointed. Our boys want to buy a place exactly like this when they're older. Not surprising, it's like being in a fairy tale. Beautiful and homey - exactly what we needed for a weekend away. Picnicing in the gardens was a highlight. Hope to be back, thank you Alex for all your assistance." The Cowleys
- "Thank you so much for a wonderful wonderful stay. The cottage is so welcoming and the gardens so beautiful" Jenny & Barry Yates.
- "We loved our stay in this charming cottage and our every need was covered. We found plenty to entertain us in the area and the gardens are a delight. We would love to come back again one day." Rae & Tony Viviani
- What a lovely cottage to meet with old friends, share a laugh or many over a glass of wine.
Your cottage is beautiful; a slice of charm in the highlands. We loved exploring your garden" Chris & Wayne Munce
WINNER 2014 EXCELLENCE IN ACCOMMODATION - SHBAwards -set in a manicured gardened estate
The park like grounds in which Southdown Cottage sits, make your stay not just an ordinary accommodation stay but a total experience.
To stroll around these beautiful gardens is most rewarding and memorable.
The majestic 150 year old trees form the backdrop for this historic cottage.
You will find a surprise around every corner to explore. The orchard is laden with fruit during season. The stunning Highlands autum colours of red, yellow and orange and the winter tracery mark out the trees and foliage..
Spring bursts forth with the carpets of daffodils, bluebells, beds of tulips, roses, perennial borders, camellias and rododendrons.
An original Southern Highlands historic property
Southdown was the original 335 acre 1857 Burradoo property.
Late in the 1880's it was reduced to 35 acres after being cut up for the Holly Park Estate, that now forms most what we know as Burradoo today.
It had been a summer house /property for Sydney establishment and Queensland cattle property owner.
In the 1880's it was owned by Sydney MLA John Lackey and later that century was a school for girls.
During the 1920 the famous "Southdown" riding school was established and remained that way until the late 1960's.