This non-smoking, family-orientated holiday home with it's own private swimming pool and garden is located in Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, in a secluded, quiet and private location with secure gated access.
The home has three bedrooms all with built in wardrobes and shelves, and each with its own en-suite bathroom. All bedrooms also have their own air conditioning unit too. Note that although this is house is fine for adults, please see the photo's to determine the type of beds available.
The main bedroom, downstairs, features a solid beech queen bed with en-suite bath/shower, with a fold up port-a-cot available too. Upstairs features real wood floors and two additional bedrooms - the second bedroom features a double lower and single upper bunk bed, while the third room features a bunk, plus single bed sleeping a total of 8. All beds upstairs are brand new, and every mattress throughout the home is also brand new.
The house also features a fully appointed kitchen which includes an oven, hob, and dishwasher. There is a separate and large lounge and dining area that also has a large air conditioning unit, with high vaulted ceilings. This features a TV and DVD/Blu-ray player - but this is not connected to terrestrial TV but we have a fairly decent collection of DVD's for both adults and kids, or you can bring your own movies on a USB stick. It also has a separate sound bar with Bluetooth so that you can stream your own music directly to this. There is a separate laundry room and an undercover outdoor entertaining area with new BBQ with access to your own private swimming pool and garden, and has been designed to provide a warm, welcoming and relaxing holiday environment for families of all sizes.
You can walk to the nearest Golf Course, and walk to the closest pub, restaurant and the coffe shop is only a little bit further.
Why is it good for kids?
We have kids – and while the house is fine for adults, we have tried to make it as safe as possible.
Aside from the obvious of ensuring your children do not play in or near the pool without constant adult supervision, these are some of things we have done to make life easier for you, as parents, and the kids themselves:
- Wi-Fi is included and free. It’s fairly fast for the area, with 13mb download speeds which for Port is not too bad and certainly at the faster end. All details for connecting are within the house and WPS works fine too.
- The two upstairs rooms have ceiling fans as well as the air conditioning. Obviously, depending on the age of your children, we don't want them leaning over and trying to touch the fans, so please be wary. We have re-positioned the fans as far out of the way as possible but of course, there's only so much space
- Two of the power sockets have built in USB ports for phones and games charging – one in the kitchen by the end of the counter, and one just inside the front door. You can guess why we didn’t put any in the rooms upstairs
- There is a good amount of kids plates, cutlery, bowls and cups – all of which are dishwasher friendly. We’d rather the young kids use this, and it’s so much safer for everyone
- We’ve replaced the three basin/sink plug holes with pop-up wastes, so there’s no more lost plugs and far less inclination for the mysterious finger to go travelling
- The blinds upstairs are blackout and crucially, do not have side pulls, cords or string – they simply pull down from the middle, avoiding any potential safety concerns. We suggest leaving them down throughout the day as it does get rather hot.
- The taps in the bathrooms sinks are rather unique, because a normal hot and cold tap, when you lift the lever in the central position it runs cold but slowly gets warmer as the hot water comes through. These taps are cold when you lift them in the central position – but remain cold, with hot requiring it to be pushed all the way round
- All the bulbs/globes are LED’s – so if little Johnny bounces on his bed and touches the light, it’s nice and cool
If there’s anything you think we could or should add, do please let us know.
About Port Douglas
Port Douglas is north of Cairns, and is 45 minute drive from Cairns International Airport along a winding, picturesque coastal road. The house is a 12 minute drive to the town centre or you can walk to the town along Four Mile Beach too; a leisurely 10 minute walk to Four Mile Beach, or alternatively, a 15 minute walk to a small selection of shops - a cafe with good coffee, a bottle shop, and fish & chips, or even closer, a pub and The Beach Shack, a fave restaurant of ours which is great for kids. And, finally, it's just 600 metres to the nearest golf course.
Further afield, it's a 30 minute drive to the Daintree National Park and Rainforest, a World Heritage-listed site, and of course is the closest town and access point to the Great Barrier Reef. Out of interest, every canvas that you see in the photo's, and there are eight of them, feature professional photographs of either Port Douglas, the Great Barrier Reef or the Daintree Rainforest.
How to get to here...
There are a few ways of reaching 11 Fronds Port Douglas from Cairns International Airport, regardless of whether you arrive at the domestic or international terminal. We have outlined some options below, together with web links or contact details. We have not used all of these options – where we have we’ve made a note – and we’ll keep this updated as we hear feedback from our guests and given our own experiences. As a guide, in a hire car it’s about a 45-60 minute drive. Other options will take longer.
Car hire at the airport
A quick note – if you are a larger family, access to people movers 7-8 seater vehicles is often limited, and while the access to these via the big brands can be sketchy, all four off-airport brands listed below have 7-8 seaters on their fleets. But book early as demand is high in school holidays as you can imagine.
Cairns airport has the usual suspects on-site Hertz, Thrifty, Redspot, Enterprise, Budget, Europcar and Avis are all present in-terminal. I’ve used most at some stage and with the exception of Europcar, all were fine sorry Europcar, but your attitude and approach to customer service was so appallingly bad, meaning I will never use you again nor can I ever recommend you to anyone. However, they are generally more expensive than other off-airport brands, even if you have vouchers or frequent use discounts. We are members of both Avis Preferred and Hertz Gold and even with these discounts, there are cheaper options. Obviously, given Cairns is still a small international airport and all the better for it, the convenience is that you can grab your luggage and then your car, and walk no more than 5 mins to pick up your vehicle. If you’re in a hurry, this is the way to go.
Car hire off or away from the airport
We have used a number of providers and will aim to try and use them all and report back on each trip. At the moment, there are four off-airport companies that we would suggest are worth checking. Please note that the first two Apex and Atlas are located at the end of airport drive, therefore no more than 10 mins from the airport terminal. The other two are located closer to Cairns, and with traffic, this could be 15-20 mins journey time. The reason I would recommend Apex is that they have a good, clear policy on insurance excess and what it will cost both as a premium or if you make a claim – the maximum deductible being $2,750, AND importantly, have a easy to understand method of both collecting a car or dropping a car off, outside of business hours. Apex allow you to drop off or pick up out of hours and it’s normally an additional $30 for this service. As some flights arrive in the early hours of the morning, this is crucial and it really does make life a lot easier. We have also used All Day Car Rentals and would also recommend them too, as they were excellent.
Note that the basic insurance on some car hire can have an excess of around $5,500 and that is regardless of whether you are at fault or not, or indeed you have any other parties details. Just be wary. These car companies below will have a variety of vehicles, and they can be 4-5 years old but still good, clean and safe.
Apex Car Rentals –
Atlas Car Rentals –
East Coast Car Rentals –
All Day Car Rentals –
Things to do...
Some of the great places to visit in and around Port Douglas and Cairns as listed below. There are many more, so this is just to whet the appetite…
Cairns artificial beach
Cairns swimming pool
Port Douglas Sunday market
Hartleys Creek Crocodile Farm
Tours and cruises on the Great Barrier Reef
Daintree Rainforest Tours
Jungle Surfing Canopy Tour
Daintree River Cruises
Hire a boat in Port Douglas
Breakfast with the Birds / Wildlife Habitat
Flames of the Forest – eating out and about under the rainforest canopy
Balley-Hooley Steam train