This heritage listed property built 1853 is located in the heart of historic Port Elliot, one of the premium summer playgrounds on the South coast, just over an hours drive south of Adelaide either via the Southern Expressway or through the picturesque Adelaide hills via Mount Barker & Strathalbyn.
This has been our holiday home for the past 15 years & we remain hopelessly in love with it
This building oozes a charm of it's own. Now that we have retired, we cannot bear to even consider selling that which has provided so many happy memories so we have decided to place the property for rental so that others may also enjoy. If you do decide to come & stay we hope that you enjoy all that Port Elliot has to offer from your base at '1853 The Old Police Station'.
The building has been extensively renovated within the heritage guidelines to retain the charm of the era & preserve it's place in history - if only the walls could talk
A key feature of the renovation is the enclosed 'prisoners exercise yard' which has been transformed into an enclosed courtyard area for meals & relaxing with adjoining French doors which open to the original prisoner cells one of which is now the luxury bathroom.
The property enjoys one of the best central locations in town, right at the top of magnificent Horseshoe Bay, perfect for swimming or taking in the views with a walk along the hilltops towards Victor Harbor. Only metres to the Strand precinct, historic Port Elliot train station, shops, cafes, boutiques & eateries.
The home comprises 4 bedrooms & can sleep up to 8 people - 2 Queen, 1 Double brass bed in the old 'women's holding cell' adjacent to the lounge & 1 Double bed in what was once the resident policeman's office.
Some of the original cabinetry remains in the galley style kitchen which has since been updated with jarrah cupboards, granite bench top, gas wall oven, microwave & dishwasher.
There are two toilets & modern bathroom with claw foot bath in what was once a two person prisoner cell back in the 1850's.
Original polished jarrah floors throughout, flat screen TV, DVD, split system air conditioner complete the picture.
Outside, the stone walled enclosed private rear garden & lawn area is perfect for summer dining with beautiful barbeque area under the shade of two 100 year old coprosma trees. Or maybe just read a book over a nice coffee or a G & T.
All laundered designer bedroom, bathroom & kitchen linen is supplied. This includes quilt covers, sheets & pillow cases, fluffy bath towels, hand towels, bath mats, face washers & tea towels. All beds have quality dunas.
- this property is a smoke free zone
- no pets allowed
- we are not able to offer accommodation to students during 'schoolies' week in November
- seasonal tariffs are subject to change & will be confirmed at time of booking along with refundable security deposit & cleaning fee.
Things To Do
- enjoy one of if not "the" best beaches SA has to offer
- take a walk around the cliffs towards Victor Harbor
- play a round of golf nearby Victor Harbor, Goolwa, Mt Compass
- visit award winning wineries Langhorne Creek, McLaren Vale, Mt Jagged, Middleton
- take a ride on the historic Cockle Train to Goolwa or Victor Harbor
- stroll to the many local cafes
- visit the Farmer's Markets first & third Saturday each month at Lakala reserve - walking distance - & Saturday weekly in Victor Harbor
- take a ride along the coastal bike track to Victor Harbor or Middleton
- go for a surf Middleton, Goolwa, Waitpinga, Parsons
- go fishing - mouth of the Murray, jetty at Port Elliot or off the beach at Basham's/Waitpinga or
launch the boat at Encounter Bay or Goolwa
- watch the whales at Basham's Beach August/September
- treat yourself at the famous Port Elliot bakery
- have a BBQ or picnic across the road in the Soldiers Memorial Gardens overlooking Horseshoe Bay free gas BBQ and picnic table located at the top of the hill
Minimum Booking Period
Most of the year - 2 nights
Long Weekends - 3 nights
Easter - 4 nights
Christmas/New year period - 7 nights
Summer school holidays - 7 nights