Set in the heart of the breathtaking Pichi Richi Pass with panoramic views of Devil's Peak, Pichi Richi Park is a great Flinders Ranges base for groups of any size.
The Park is an easy 3.5 hour drive from Adelaide to the top of Spencer Gulf, then just 25 minutes via sealed road from Port Augusta. Quorn, capital of the Flinders Ranges, with its many historic pubs, cafes and galleries is only 10 minutes away
Smaller groups of 6-12 people are accommodated in our two private, self-contained cabins. See our separate listings for details:
North Cabin: http://www.stayz.com.au/185643
South Cabin: http://www.stayz.com.au/186737
For large groups, our Courtyard Lodge offers function facilities and lodging for up to 63 people in 12 rooms. The main function room opens onto a deck, where you can relax and take in views of Devil's Peak, watch wildlife, or spot trains. On selected dates from March-November, the heritage trains of the iconic Pichi Richi Railway chug past the front of the property.
Activity seekers and school students love exploring the Park's 1,000 acres of natural bushland. Hill climbing, creeks, orienteering, volleyball, wildlife, knot tying, building a campfire, shelter building and exploring the area's unique geology and ecology are just some of the activities available.
There are many more experiences to be enjoyed nearby, including: four wheel driving, camel treks, museums, galleries, the Pichi Richi Railway, aquatics, fishing, and bush walks including Warren Gorge, Devil's Peak, and Dutchman's Stern or Mt Brown Conservation Parks.
Due to our position in the midst of the Pichi Richi Pass, there is no mobile coverage nor internet facilities at the Park. Coverage is available in Quorn, 10 minutes away.
Group Hire & Catering Options
Group hire of the Courtyard Lodge & Function Centre includes lodging for 63 people in 12 rooms arranged around a central courtyard, plus exclusive use of the Function Centre.
The function centre's main room opens out onto a deck with stunning panoramic views of Devil's Peak. A range of catering packages are available for groups of more than 20, or self-cater with access to our well-equipped indoor and outdoor kitchens and the Coopers Outback Bar.
Venue hire includes:
- Saltbush Function room and deck overlooking Devil's Peak
- Coopers Outback Bar facility
- Large general purpose room
- Separate dining room
- Fully equipped commercial kitchen
- Outdoor kitchen with campfire pit and two BBQs
- Access to Pichi Richi Park's walking trails
Catering options additional cost:
- Tableware hire available for self-catering groups
- Various Bar and Food packages can be arranged, ranging from provisions for self-catering, through to a four course wedding feast
Venue Hire Does NOT Include:
- Linen additional $17 per person, or BYO
- Use of the commercial dishwasher additional $50, plus $100 bond
- Hosted Activities please contact us for a quote on hosted activities
- Tea, coffee, food or condiments, firewood, toiletries we provide hand soap
- Set-up of the wood fired oven or campfires
- Use of the data projector $50
Groups are responsible for tidying the venue before departure. Please see our Departure Checklist for details
Group Activiites and School Programs
Pichi Richi Park is truly geared for school activities. There is hill climbing, creeks, orienteering, volleyball, animals, knot tying, build a campfire, shelter building and much more…
CAMPFIRE COOKING & BONFIRES
At Pichi Richi Park we have a large campfire and wood fired oven with undercover camp kitchen subject to fire bans. We even share our favourite damper recipe Groups are to set-up their own campfire and wood fire oven please see management before doing so. Firewood is available for $15 per wheel barrow load, or BYO. Please note that firewood collection is illegal in the Flinders Ranges District.
BUSH WALKING & HIKING
You have to do our Ridge Top Walk to sign the book Some of our local favourite walks;
Warrens Gorge loop walk
Devils Peak across the road
Jacobs Gully onsite
PICHI RICHI HERITAGE RAILWAY
The Pichi Richi Railway weaves through the Pichi Richi Pass right pass our front door on selected dates from March-November each year. Private hire is available for all types of special occasions. Workshop tours are also available in Quorn and don’t forget to visit the souvenir shop at the old Quorn Railway Station.
Timetable & Bookings at the Quorn Railway Station or by contacting Pichi Richi Railway.
WITHIN A FEW KMS OF PICHI RICHI PARK...
- Explore stone culverts and walls built for the original Ghan Railway in the Pass by the Chinese/convicts on boundary
- Explore the diverse features over the property creeks/scrubland/ geology
- Explore ruins of Pichi Richi town site and cemetery 2km from Park centre
- Discover the section of the Heysen Trail that runs over the property
- Bike to Quorn on the Mawson Trail
GREAT FLINDERS RANGES EXPERIENCES NEARBY
- Take a walk up Devil’s Peak from the east get there by vehicle and return to a picnic lunch at the base amongst the gums or we get you access direct from the Park
- There are a number of gorges within ¾ hour of Pichi Richi Park Visit the Quorn Tourist Office for full information or ask us
- Ride the Pichi Richi Heritage Railway
- Historic walk around Quorn along with numerous coffee stopovers
- Quorn Native Flora Reserve known as Powell Gardens
- Warrens Gorge beautiful loop walk 3 & 5km trails & the Yellow Footed Rock Wallabies
- Moralana drive to Black Gap original entrance to Wilpena by horseback is the best drive around. It can be combined with a visit to Aboriginal sites a Yourumbulla or Arkaroo Rock just past Black Gap – before Wilpena.
- Kanyaka Ruins a floor plan available from Pichi Richi Office
- Walk Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park 20km from the Park – an excellent loop walk
- Horseshoe Range – great 4wd tracks
- Day trip to Hawker 67km; Panoramic Art Gallery onto Wilpena Pound Resort 52kms
- Port Augusta; Wadlata Outback Centre, Arid Lands Botanic Garden, Royal Flying Doctor Base, Aquatics & Outdoor Centre