With so many holiday properties to choose from in Hobart, making a choice can be very difficult. The moment you see Omaroo House, a very cute 1850’s cottage surrounded by flourishing roses it draws you in for a stay of comfort and convenience and you know you have made the right choice. It has a great location on the edge of the CBD (within the Heritage Precinct of Hobart’s top rated suburb West Hobart) so a car is not critical. It is a 5 minute walk to the city, 10 minute walk to Salamanca and Constitution Dock where the Sydney to Hobart yachts come in at the end of the race, so there are many excellent cafes, restaurants and bars. It is a 15 minute walk to vibrant North Hobart where there are more excellent cafes, restaurants, bars, pubs and of course shops. If you have a car all these places are only a couple minutes away and there is parking for 2 cars at the rear of the property plus parking on the street. So it is suitable for all kinds of guests, from couples to friends sharing, business professionals and especially welcoming for families.
On entry to the cottage is the sitting/lounge room with a classic leather lounge suite, large flat screen TV and DVD player and a gas heater to keep you cosy in winter. To add to your relaxation there are books on the bookshelf and board games in the chest which all contribute to a great atmosphere.
A bedroom leads off the lounge room which has the original ceiling, it has a Queen sized bed and an old style dresser in keeping with the original cottage.
From the lounge via the original 1850’s back door you enter the kitchen and dining area, where you have stunning panoramic views of the Derwent River all the way to the original casino in Australia. The kitchen has full cooking facilities, full size fridge and dishwasher for your convenience and entertaining if you are visiting family or friends in Hobart. Tea, coffee and sugar are provided. The dining table seats six and maximises these panoramic views. There is another flat screen TV and a new compact stereo system including an ipod dock which is also wireless. It also has a heat pump for chilly evenings.
The main bedroom also has stunning panoramic views of Derwent River and the backyard which can be seen when you are lying in the Queen Sized bed.
The final bedroom has a single bed and a rollout trundle bed which comes to the same height as the single bed.
Omaroo House is also child friendly as it has a portacot and a high chair.
The bathroom has a shower over a mini-bath that can be used for babies and young children. Toiletries are provided and there are laundry facilities. There is a separate toilet that adds to the convenience when there is more than a couple staying.
The back door takes you out to a lovely garden again with panoramic views of the Derwent River. A table and chairs and a swing chair allows you to maximise the enjoyment of these views whether you, read a book or enjoy a drink. The garden is particularly inviting for families that need extra space for kids to play. There is also a four burner BBQ.
Tasmania’s top rated gourmet grocer, the famous Hill Street store which houses fresh local produce, fabulous deli, cheese room and local wines has many gourmet delights for any foodie and award winning West Hobart meats are close by. Also close by are parks and walking tracks.
Omaroo House combines the best of modern convenience with historic charm, and will make your stay in Hobart a memorable one, including famous Tasmanian fudge to welcome you on your arrival.
Things to Do
While at Omaroo House there are many activities you can do that are close by or only a short drive away:
- Walk to the waterfront and take the ferry to Mona Art Museum to explore the strange and wonderful Museum of Old and New Art.
- Take the kids to the nearby Train Park on Hill Street, a favourite with locals and visitors and famous for the giant slides.
- Go the renowned Paesano restaurant, a short stroll from your front door, and enjoy the best pizza and pasta in Hobart
- Walk to the city and do your shopping in the historic Cat and Fiddle Arcade
- Pack up the car and enjoy any number of day trips to iconic Tasmanian destinations - Port Arthur Historic Site, Tahune Airwalk, Hastings Caves or Mount Wellington
- Visit Hill Street Store and take home some local produce to cook up a storm in Omaroo House's fully equipped kitchen
- Simply relax and unwind with a Tasmanian wine on the swing seat and enjoy the views
- Visit the Historic Richmond Village
- Visit Mount Field National Park, or check out the view from Mount Nelson signal station and our famous Mount Wellington, which also has many walking tracks for all different ages.
No matter what you enjoy, there is something for everyone at Omaroo House.
All enquiries welcome