Take a step back in time, to bygone era, where life was simpler. Where people spent time with dignified entertainment and seemed to have more space and time. Welcome back to the great age of Steam.......
Just a couple of hours from Melbourne,Steam is the third holiday rental property developed by Dufflebird and Liptrap Loft 3 time Stayz State award winner & 2 time National award winner.
The carriage was used as a workshop, when the original owner was building the house next door. Otway's Loft also listed on STAYZ. Parts of the train were stripped and used in the house construction.
When we started renovating the carriage it was quite run down. There was not enough intact to restore it authentically, so we have developed our own style that is vaguely steam-punk influenced.
Almost every surface had to have something done to it. We thought we would strip out and move around a few panels and dividers, but we found that carriages were really tightly put together all that rattling and hard to pull apart. When we did get panels off, we had no idea what we would find. We completely stripped and rewired the electrical, and did plumbing from scratch. Renovating anything nearly a century old will have its challenges, but this was exceptional.
It is not 5 star luxury, and certainly not for everyone, but it is one of a kind. Steam's popularity with guests has amazed us.
Forrest is a gorgeous small town of weatherboard shacks, surrounded by towering Mountain Ash rain forest with lush ferny under-story. The dawn birdsong is extraordinary. There is a lot to do around Forrest even if you are not a mountain biker.
Special features include :
- 3 bedrooms. Can sleep 6 guests but 2 or 4 would be more comfortable. See Sleeping Options below.
- Linen, towels, hand towels and tea towels are provided. The beds will be made up when you arrive.
- Bathroom with shower
- Open plan kitchen/living room
- Wood fire box heater with wood supply included
- Nobo heaters
- Full small kitchen with stove, oven, sink, fridge
- No washing machine and dryer
-Bluetooth sound system
- Italian style stove-top coffee maker
- Basic provisions like olive oil, spices, tea, coffee, Vegemite and Glad Wrap
- 2 adult mountain bikes available and suitable for trails. Helmets.
- Pets and children welcome. The yard is fenced but not necessarily dog proof.
NO TV. There is a sound system, books and board games.
Enter via Sanderson Lane. You cant miss it, it is the only train carriage at the elbow in the lane.
The train can sleep six people, but four would be more comfortable.
The small bed rooms used to be train seating compartments, only 2.1m square, so they are only just longer than a bed. The rooms are close together, the bath room is between the kids and second bedroom and there is not a lot of audio insulation. You can hear what is happening in the next compartment.
It is ideal for:
• A couple with the whole train for themselves it is pretty spacious.
• A couple and two kids.
It should work well for:
• A couple, and up to four kids. Two kids would need to sleep in one queen bed. It would be a great place for kids to bring a friend.
• Two couples, as long as they were good friends. It would be close living.
It may work for:
• Four adults, one in each bed. The single beds are train beds, like caravan beds 750mm wide.
• Any more adults would be possible, but only if you are planning to be out most of the day and out for dinner. If it a just place to sleep, it could work.
Master: Two compartments long, with a queen bed.
Second: Single compartment with two thin single beds.
Third: Single compartment with a queen bed.
QUIRKY LOG HOUSE NEXT DOOR
The house next door Otway's Loft was built using recycled materials, locally milled timber and train parts. The two properties can be rented together if you have a larger group. Together they can sleep a maximum of 14 10-12 ideal
The carriage is no stranger to conversion. It has had an amazing history, with 7 lives
and 5 conversions. It was built as a First Class carriage in 1926 and converted between First and Second Class 4 times, then retired in 1983. More detailed history, some photos and original plans of the carriage are available on booking.
THE GREAT AGE OF STEAM
Steam, certainly wont be for everyone, but we have had great feedback from the young and the young at heart. There seems to be a great fondness for the "Great Age of Steam", when locomotives were king At the turn of the century trains were the greatest technological achievement of humans, they opened new horizons, and were a symbol of power and progress. We hope we have tapped in to this, and we're excited to be able to offer this unique accommodation to guests.