WELCOME TO ALPHA LOFT
Located at the rear of 63-65 Vincent Street, the main street of Daylesford, this unique loft space is created from the dress circle of the first silent movie theatre outside Melbourne. The loft has undergone a meticulous conversion to a luxury pad in the centre of Daylesford
The loft looks up to the Wombat Botanical Gardens and is only steps away from all the cafes, restaurants and shops in the main street of Daylesford.
Once inside, the loft occupies the full 33 foot width of the building. On the entry level there is a bathroom with separate shower, toilet and a two-person relaxation bath. Stairs lead up to the main space, where the integrity of the dress circle of the old theatre has been maintained. Two mezzanines contain separate living and sleeping quarters. With high ceilings and views out over the town and up to Wombat Gardens, it is a unique centrally located, yet tranquil space.
On the higher level, there is a fully equipped kitchen Miele dishwasher, microwave, gas cook top and electric oven, dual fridge/freezer refrigerator, dining area for 7 and two relaxing leather lounges in front of a cosy gas log fire. French doors lead onto a deck that spans the full width of the building, with a French iron and marble top table for outdoor eating and magnificent tranquil views high up over the town. From either side of the deck you can see the Town Hall and Post Office, Frangos & Frangos and across the rooftops of the main street and the town. Blinds have been installed on the windows in the bedroom and living area.
Back inside and looking towards the main street, dual stairways lead down from the lounge/dining/kitchen space to the main sleeping area, with a king size carved 4-poster bed, chandeliers, French armoire, two down-filled couches and a ‘reverse library’ and wardrobe area tucked away in what used to be the front balcony area of the theatre.
Five of the windows have the original wooden canopies that define the building as Art Deco with a hint of Art Nouveau. These frame views of the town that look like pictures
People say that with the tranquil outlook, you would not know the main street is only steps away down the small lane beside the old pub next door and Cellarbrations. There is easy parking at the rear entry to the Loft via Duke Street, and cafes, restaurants and shopping are only steps away. Lake Daylesford and the Lake House Restaurant and in the other direction, Perfect Drop and the Daylesford Hotel are within a nice walk - which means you can enjoy a night out without having to drive
The loft comes equipped with lovely linen, towels and bedding.
We hope you enjoy your stay with us
Rates displayed are indicative only and will vary depending on the dates of your stay, the number of guests and the duration. Public Holidays and Long Weekends may incur 3-4 night minimum stays.
Reduced rates may apply if you are booking less than 2 weeks prior to arrival for weekend bookings or 2 months prior to arrival for midweek bookings.
The nightly rate quoted above is based on a 2-night midweek stay at full house rates. 1-night stays are also available. Please enquire for confirmation of rates.
Check-in: 3pm; Check-out: midday.
Weekend nights are Thurs/Fri, Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun.
Midweek nights are Sun through to Thurs.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are checking in or out on a Saturday, please enquire for confirmation of rates before making a booking.
THE HISTORY OF ALPHA LOFT - BUILT IN 1915:
The building that fronts the main street, was named Alpha Hall and built in 1915 by Mr. Weir. It had Weir’s Draper’s Shop at street level onto Vincent Street and the silent movie theatre occupied the first floor and dress circle. In 1915, the movie theatre was accessed from bluestone steps on the site of what is now the bakery next door. The roof of the dress circle used to open up to enable movie viewing under the stars on a hot night. As was common for silent movie theatres at the time, the projection box was attached at the rear in case the film caught fire, as happened in the movie Cinema Paradiso. This is where we now have a lovely deck that spans the whole building.
Today, on the rear wall of the outside deck of the loft, the movie projection slots have been left for you to imagine how it was when films were shown all the way to the front wall on the main street. To commemorate this, a mural in Upstairs at Alpha, one of two shops accessed from the main street, depicts silent movie stars of the day and a picture of how the theatre looked with its wooden seats. The former Weir’s Draper Shop is now occupied by Clayfire Gallery. Going inside these two shops will give you an idea of the spaces created in 1915.
The story goes that Alpha Hall flourished as a silent movie theatre for about a decade until talking movies overtook the silent movie industry. Rumour has it that the owner of the Rex, which opened in 1927 a few doors down the street, struck a deal that Alpha Hall would not show talking movies. The Rex took over and the old theatre slowly met its end as silent movies were overtaken by the talkies. When bought by the current owner in 1989, it had been used for various things including dances, boxing, roller skating and had then become a store room for junk. Int the 1990s it was an art gallery and coffee house with the first cappuccino machine in all of Daylesford and it even had a few seasons of silent movies and some sit-down dinners for 60 people with a show.
Over the years, a front veranda was added and the dress circle underwent renovation into a separate loft. Alpha Loft is accessed from the car park at the rear which is off laneways from Duke Street. It is a fully self-contained space on multiple levels, accessed from wooden stairs that lead from the rear deck and car park.
Guests staying in 2015:
- Guests staying in 2015: The Alpha Loft apartment was very comfortable and a perfect getaway for two people. It had excellent cooking facilities and was very spacious and handy to all local restaurants. The staff were most helpful.
- Alpha Loft was a perfect place for us to enjoy our honeymoon before we head oversees. Gorgeous place, conveniently located near shops; clean, tidy & spacious. Enjoyed our time here and would recommend to others. Thanks Mark & Tracey
- The loft is lovely Great location, fire place and bed. We will be returning Mike & Pete
- What a blessing it was to come away and stay at Alpha Loft. Heading home feeling thankful Wal & Mandy
- What a wonderful place. So enjoyed our time and didn't want to leave. Lisa & Craig
- What a gem Walking up the stairs into the main room was a real WOW And it got even better when we walked down again into the bedroom. It was cosy, comfortable and indulgent. Thank you. Ann & George
- Perfect for an escape from the city - we didn't want to leave. Jess & Cam
- What a perfect weekend stay in such a lovely place with so much character. Alpha Loft - the best, spacious, relaxing, central and clean with all the goodies. Thank you for the perfect stay. Brissy
- It is such a lovely place Heaps of room and the hamper was awesome Highly recommend Brendan & Jayde
- Absolutely a great place. Location fantastic, very spacious, and we loved the comfy bed Relaxing weekend. Kevin & Diane
- The bed was the best we ever slept in The goodies box was a lovely touch and introduced us to a new coffee & tea variety. Cheers Anthea & John