Surprise Hidden at the end of cobblestone laneway, this light-filled and spacious studio apartment is housed in historic stables circa 1868. Pleasantly secluded but only minutes walking distance from Melbourne's premier attractions. You won't believe you're in the city
The original interior has been cleverly remodelled to allow you to do as much, or as little, as you like. Stylishly furnished with meticulous care and attention to detail, it's a versatile open space that is both dynamic and restful. You can settle in for a long soak in the deep claw-foot bath, sink back on your queen-size mezzanine bed with a book, sip a cocktail on the day bed in the sheltered courtyard or serve dinner to someone special using the fully equipped kitchen and dining area.
Soaring ceilings and original brickwork speak of the stable's past, but it's modern at heart with a luxurious bathroom, under-floor heating, premium bedding, linen and towels and unique light fittings. A cantilevered flat screen TV allows you to enjoy your favourite shows from your bed, the couch or the dining table.
The apartment feels a world away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but step outside and you're within a World Heritage area, and only minutes walk from the inner city’s liveliest restaurants, bars and shopping strips in Carlton and Fitzroy Lygon Street, Gertrude Street and Brunswick Street. Slip through the back of the laneway and take a stroll through the historic Carlton Gardens to the Melbourne Museum, and then continue over to Queen Victoria Market and the buzzing city centre. The apartment is central to everything It's close to transport bus, tram and train, but most importantly away from street and traffic noise — you’ll sleep soundly.
About me: I am an architect with an office in the city centre so I'm never far away if anything needs to be attended to. I am busy throughout the week, and occasionally out or at gym on weeknights, but happy to stop and chat when I'm on my way to my apartment upstairs. I know where to find a good martini and a great coffee and can recommend restaurants, bars, bakeries D. Chirico around the corner have great challah on Fridays btw and galleries, along with the nuts and bolts you may need during your stay: grocers, dry cleaners, tailors. Perhaps best of all, I have a sense of humour.
Guest Access: Guests will have sole use of the ground floor apartment as shown in the photos. The courtyard is shared, but for the most part guests will have sole use of the courtyard as I do not used it for recreational purposes. There is a small outbuilding in the courtyard that contains a shared laundry with a washing machine and dryer. The upstairs apartment is not accessible to guests.
Other things to Note:
- I only allow three guests, If one of the guests is a child between 3 - 12.
- The sofa in the living area converts into a single bed. Additional linen is provided.
- Their is a heritage brick fence being reconstructed in the middle of our laneway.
- There is no parking on the property. Restricted parking is available on the nearby streets.
Other Features of the apartment:
- Triple brick walls, so the interior is much cooler than usual in summer.
- Under floor heating.
- Excellent natural light.
- Induction cooktop.
- Internal area: 70 m2
- Courtyard area: 35 m2
- Ceiling height: 3.3 m 11 feet
Other things I provide:
- BOSE bluetooth sound system play music off your phone/ laptop wirelessly
- APPLE TV setup with free Netflix for guests to use.
- International power adaptor: USA/UK to AUS
- Power voltage convertor: 240V AUS to 120V USA.
- USB wall socket for iphone & Ipad.
- Ethernet port and cable lead.
- NBN high speed internet.
- Portable fan.
- Top of the range memory-foam mattress and pillows medium firmness.
- Washing machine and dryer.