Winter SPECIAL OFFER
HomeAway and Visit Victoria have joined forces again with their Wander Victoria Winter campaign. Our offer to you is 'pay for 4 nights stay for 5 night' for trips taken between 15th July and 20th September 2018. Enquire today.
The Miners Nest, a period home with an Art Deco theme is situated in Barrys Reef, a small mining town 90km from Melbourne, only a short drive to popular Daylesford, Hepburn, Trentham, Kyneton and Macedon regions.
Warm and welcoming, the Miners Nest, a fully equipped 3 bedroom home, boasts a touch of Art Deco glamour and quirky vintage touches set amongst 1.2 acres of gardens, bordering the Wombat State Forest.
This home is managed by ellecor Holiday Home Management and lovingly maintained by its owners, who live and work in Melbourne but share their time between the city’s hustle and bustle and the calmness and serenity of the Miners Nest.
I'm happy to answer your questions to ensure the property is a good fit for your needs.
Please note - this property's calendar is live, reflecting the true availability of the Miners Nest
Follow ellecor on social media for discounts and last minute offers on our properties.
I look forward to hearing from you, Lauren
Director of ellecor Holiday Home Management
ABOUT THE HOME
Enter via the front doors to encounter the tram stop themed hall way, complete with W-class tram seat and luggage rack. Upon exploration of the home you’ll discover countless vintage nick knacks and relics the hosts have collected over the years.
Whilst staying at the Miners Nest you won’t find WiFi or a TV in the living room, but what you will find to pass the time are couches and arm chairs to bask in the morning sun whilst relaxing with a magazine and cupboards stocked with board games, an assortment of books and a record player.
When the sun’s out the newly constructed deck is a great spot to enjoy the leafy garden and listen to the birds and on cooler days, relaxing by the Coonara wood heater with a glass of wine is a must
The house also features a reverse cycle, wall mounted heating/cooling unit in the main living room.
Well appointed kitchen, with black granite bench, dishwasher, fridge, microwave and more Current day electric cook top and oven contrast to original Ager stove.
Of the 3 bedrooms in the home, 2 offer queen sized beds with gorgeous art deco wardrobes, and the third bedroom is set up as a kids’ room, with 3 single beds + an additional mattress to cater for 8th guest, as well as a DVD player, DVDs, books and toys which Mel and Rohan’s children are happy to share with their younger guests.
Kids’ can also enjoy the trampoline and swing set, use their imaginations in the ‘cubby house’ or climb trees in the surrounding 1.2 acres of gardens.
The main bathroom is complete with stunning claw footed bath perfect for a relaxing soak. A shower and second toilet can be found in the laundry room.
The house not only has a sunny deck area but a front verandah and a paved back patio area with a BBQ. The fire pit in this area is great for toasting marshmallows in the Winter months.
Other information and house rules:
- Check in is from 2pm. Access information and a house guide will be provided upon confirmation of your booking
- Check out is before 10am on the day of departure
- Smoking is not permitted in the house. Due to the risk of bush fire, smoking is permitted outside on the back paved patio area only. All cigarette butts must be extinguished and disposed of in rubbish bins provided
- Well behaved, house trained dogs are welcome in the house, but dogs are not allowed on couches or beds. If bringing your dog please note that the property is not securely fenced - your pets will be free to roam and explore the property and neighbouring forest
- Paper, fire lighters and some kindling for the Coonara wood heater and fire pits are provided. Guests are asked to bring their own fire wood.
- Phone reception in the area is limited. Telstra offers good coverage however Optus/Vodafone and other carriers are not as reliable. A landline is available in the home but is for emergency use only
- As this property is a home, shared with guests there are a number of both personal and sentimental items throughout. We ask that guests respect owners' personal items/property.
On your door step:
Explore the tranquillity of the Wombat State Forest and its six major river systems from the Miners Nest's back fence. Spanning 70,000 hectares this flora reserve has been set aside for recreation. Popular activities within the forest include camping, bushwalking, horse riding and trail bike riding.
Within the forest:
- Keep a keen eye out for evidence of the gold rush era and mining days
- Explore the 'Domino Trail' walking track which follows the old railway line from the Trentham heritage listed railway station
- Enjoy the Lerderderg Heritage River Walk as well as many other tracks and mapped trails that run through the Forest.
The Miners Nest is the perfect base for those interested in exploring the surrounding towns.
10 km's away is the historic town of TRENTHAM, with its broad, leafy lanes and unhurried ambience, the town exudes tranquillity and elegant charm and is an attraction all in its own right. Step off the Main Street and be dazzled by the wonders of the natural environment.
Trentham's many attractions include:
- Trentham falls, Victoria’s highest single drop waterfall – a 32 metre drop over basalt column
- Eateries such as The Cosmopolitan Hotel, Annie Smithers' du Fermier, Red Beard Bakery, Coliban and the Trentham Collective
- Homewares, giftwares, clothing and novelty shops such as Two Fat Wombats
- Trentham Golf Club is located within walking distance from the town centre.
30 km's away is the town of KYNETON which has a collection of some of the finest bluestone buildings outside of Bendigo and Ballarat. It has a unique character forged on the wealth of the goldrush and today is a rural hub with a creative and gastronomic focus on the diverse and evolving Piper Street precinct.
Kyneton's many attractions include:
- Luxurious boutiques up and down the main street
- Eateries including the awarded Annie Smithers Bistro or Royal George Hotel
- Kyneton Botanical Gardens which provide an ideal starting point for the Campaspe River Walk
- Numerous family operated boutique wineries offering intimate cellar door and dining experiences in evocative pastoral country and granite strewn paddocks
- Events such as the Kyneton Cup, Daffodil and Arts Festival and Kyneton Agricultural Show.
Less than 40km from Barrys Reef is the DAYLESFORD and HEPBURN Spa region. The two spa towns represent the ultimate in indulgence and relaxation, an ideal setting for romantic getaways. If you're looking for a place to unwind, pamper yourself, indulge your senses, or simply enjoy an enticing menu of natural attractions this is a perfect day trip for you Simply choose from one of the 72 health-giving mineral springs or over 30 spas, wellness retreats and healing centres in the area.
Less than 30km's away is the pretty village of MACEDON, found at the base of Mount Macedon’s southern slopes. With streets softened by established trees and a quiet town centre Macedon has all of the facilities you would expect of a country village.
A must when visiting Macedon is nearby Hanging Rock, the setting for Joan Lindsay's 1967 novel Picnic at Hanging Rock. The Rock is said to be the best example of a volcanic plug or mamelon in the world, which outside this district is only found in Norway and Sweden.
Other towns in the region that are worthy of exploration include Gisborne, Lancesfield, Malmsbury, Riddells Creek, Romsey and Woodend.