In 1853, gold was discovered at Maldon and within a few years there were 20,000 miners and 70 pubs in the town. One of these was 'The Eaglehawk Hotel'. A fire destroyed the timber hotel in the late 1800's and a new hotel was rebuilt in Edwardian splendour in 1906.
Today, this historic hotel can be yours.
The Eaglehawk Country House Hotel - Maldon is the perfect and unique venue for your next Self Cater and BYO function whether it be a Wedding, Party, Conference, Retreat, Birthday, Seminar or Family or Group holiday.
Built in 1906 it retains original features including the original Front Bar, gardens and grand reception hall. We offer a self catering venue large enough for 40+ banquet style or 60+ cocktail style as well as several other entertainment spaces and 5 bedrooms accommodating up to 16.
If you're looking for a unique historic venue for your next function or holiday, the Eaglehawk Hotel - Maldon is the perfect choice. Period features including the original Public Bar, Ladies Lounge, Grand Dining Hall, Conservatory, Pressed Metal ceilings, Stained Glass and Open Fire Places provide you with a special place for your next function or holiday. Flexible bedding configuration King or Singles sleeping 16, full kitchen and all items an extensive range of crockery, cutlery, servingware, commercial dishwasher etc required to host your own event, all you need to bring is food and drink. Alternatively
The Eaglehawk - Maldon features:
- 70 minute drive from Melbourne
- Accommodation for up to 16 people
- Additional accommodation available at the motel next door and many cottages or B&B's in town
- On-site Parking
- Function space for 40+ seated restaurant style or 80 cocktail style
- Self Catering with a very well equipped kitchen, just bring your food
- Multiple function and entertainment spaces
- Fully equipped kitchen and bar glassware, cutlery, crockery etc
- Extensive gardens
- 5 bedrooms with flexible bedding configuration King or Single beds.
Multiple function spaces include:
- Original 1900's public bar. A fully functioning bar.
- 'Ladies bar' featuring 2 open fires. Perfect for relaxing or as a break-out room for conferences.
- Grand Dining Room with flexible configuration for dining, cocktail, conference layout and many other options.
- Conservatory set up with lounges. Perfect for relaxing or as a break-out room for conferences.
- Sun deck
- Extensive gardens
The bedrooms are located in the original accommodation wing of the hotel. They all retain original features such as open fireplaces, pressed metal ceilings and ornate cornices.
Contact us for details about hosting your event.
Important Note: An additional charge applies for hosting events such as weddings, parties, conferences, reunions etc. An 'event' is defined as any gathering where people who are not registered guests sleeping at the hotel attending a gathering. Please contact us for a quote that includes the event fee. The event fee provides you with additional facilities that are otherwise not available. These include additional dining chairs, crockery, cutlery, glassware, serving ware, commercial dishwasher, coffee machine, additional refrigeration etc.
The minimum stay is 2 nights unless there is a one night gap between bookings. Weekend bookings are for a minimum Friday and Saturday night.
Guest Access: When you book the Eaglehawk Country House Hotel - Maldon you get exclusive use of the whole hotel and all facilities. Please note that hosting events require pre-approval and payment of appropriate fee to host events.
Other Things to Note:
- Accommodation for up to 16
- We provide all linen, towels, blankets etc as well as body wash, hand wash, shampoo and conditioner.
- Free Wifi and Netflix included
- Fully air conditioned and heated.
- The kitchen is fully equipped and we supply crockery, cutlery, glassware and serving ware for your function.
- Dining room can be fitted with additional tables and chairs for a seated function.
Please contact us for a quote to host your function at the Eaglehawk Country House Hotel - Maldon. The prices shown are for Holiday rental accommodation. An additional fee applies for hosting events.
About Maldon: Maldon is Australia's first notable town and is only a seventy minute drive from Melbourne. Maldon makes an ideal base to explore all the central Victorian Goldfields region has to offer.
Take a trip down memory lane through the tree lined back streets of Maldon; catch a steam train ride to Castlemaine; tour the goldmine; potter through antiques and collectables stores or simply stroll past grand old buildings - all this and much more is on offer within walking distance of the Eaglehawk Hotel. Come and see for yourself why Maldon was awarded the most intact heritage streetscape by the National Trust in 2006. Treat yourself to the experience of what life was like during the gold rush era
Our central location offers the opportunity to visit many nearby wineries, see historic Castlemaine 15 mins drive or tour Bendigo which is an outstanding example of a 19th century gold rush city 30 mins. Maryborough is also only a short drive away. Daylesford and Hepburn Springs make perfect destinations for a day trip. Nearby, Cairn Curran Reservoir provides a wide range of water based recreational activities, these include boating power and sail, skiing, fishing, swimming, wind surfing, jet skiing and canoeing. Cairn Curran is also a perfect picnic location.
Getting Around: Maldon is a 15 minute drive from Castlemaine and 30 minutes from Bendigo. Castlemaine is serviced by VLine rail services and a twice daily bus runs between Castlemaine and Maldon. Taxis are also available for the 15 minute drive between Castlemaine and Maldon.