Have you fantasied living in a small country town. We did Newstead and it's community captured our hearts. We have popular annual festivals - the Newstead Short Story Tattoo a literary celebration, Newstead Live rooted in folk & Chopped homage to '50s & '60s cars - we have ambitions to be the first Vic town to be 100, community owned, solar powered. Think boutique beer, great coffee, gourmet pizzas, art & wildlife. We’re interested in the world around us & we’re welcoming & unpretentious.
During your stay at the Terrace, you can have a peaceful break, cosy and quiet in our 116 year old freshly renovated and tastefully furnished cottage, the door firmly shut on the world. If that’s your preference, we have a fully equipped kitchen for self-catering and within a walk into the town of Newstead, hotels, cafe and an IGA grocery store. Although we live next door, we’ll respect your wish for privacy. You’ll find the Terrace has books, NBN Internet, Netflix, free to air television and the ability to stream music, play DVDs & CDs to keep you entertained.
You can stroll up the road to the iconic Railway Hotel and sample the patrons’ own beer under the 40 Acres label. Our favourite is the easy to quaff IPA. They also serve great pizzas on Friday night. Over the Loddon River bridge is the Crown Hotel, IGA and Dig café, where you can pause for a delicious meal or a Devonshire tea and Dig’s own blend of chai. For a taste of culture, stroll around Roger McKindley’s Antares Iron Art Garden, on the banks of the Loddon River. Prepare to be amazed at his quirky and extraordinary iron art and sculptures, fashioned from found objects.
We also offer tours to our nearby Walmer Farm, where you can see kangaroos passing through our 100 acres as well as some of the most colourful birds in the world. You can take a tractor/hay ride to hand feed our obese sheep. Please inquire at the time of booking if you interested in this. POA. Please note there are times where a tour of Walmer Farm is not possible.
To ensure you make the most of what the Terrace has to offer, here are some tips to enjoy the cottage:
• We have included a welcoming gift basket of goodies to settle you in.
• There is a selection of teas and freshly ground coffee for your enjoyment. You’ll also find some quality muesli and cow’s milk for a basic breakfast. For a fee of $20 we can supply you with half a dozen Real Eggs from a certified open range farm at Daylesford, fresh Newstead Bakery sour dough bread, butter and pure fresh Harcourt apple or when available pear juice for a more substantial breakfast.
• The Terrace has a brand new kitchen and bathroom.
• In the lounge room we have installed a wood fire heater to enjoy in the cooler months.
• The beds have electric blankets for winter use.
If there is anything you need we are only next door, or you can call Neal.
Above all, enjoy your stay at the Terrace. If you’re happy, we’re happy.
Neal and Marie