4 Bedroom, 3.5 Bathroom Country House With Private Dock To Boat And Fish!
Anthony and Betty
Why Anthony and Betty chose Lancaster
Betty's very sweet and generous cousin Penelope is the reason that we found Serendipity Acres. While Betty was seven months pregnant with our first born son, Penelope graciously let us stay at the very lovely Robin's Nest #928596 located a quarter mile away from Serendipity Acres. While at the Robin's Nest, we explored the surrounding area and discovered the English Country House. Bank owned, it was dilapidated and had been uninhabited for a number of years. The hard wood floors on the main level were damaged by water and termites. The bathrooms were outdated and neglected. The kitchen had been gutted and left barren with pipes and wires exposed. Despite the condition of the house, we fell in love with it because of its unique architecture. The original owner was an eccentric English gentleman who designed the house in the style of an English Country House with East and West wings. Beloved plantings by the original owner, a fig tree, a clematis bush, and hydrangea and rose bushes still grace the center courtyard and the kitchen garden on the right side of the house. Even though we were newly wed with a baby on the way, we could not forget the unique style of the house, the 23 acres of land with private woodland, and the exclusive access to Lowery Creek. The barn on the land was in need of repair and paint but possessed rustic beauty. The woodland was quiet and peaceful and opened to private and serene Lowery Creek. Seven months after our serendipitous discovery, with our five month old son on hand, we finalized our purchase and Serendipity Acres became our vacation home. We partnered up with a local contractor who helped us bring our vision for the country house to fruition. With brand new rustic hard wood floors, updated bathrooms, and a renovated kitchen complete with luxury appliances, we hope that you will enjoy the unique style of the English Country House and make memories walking the land, and fishing, swimming, and boating in the waters
Check-in: 3:00 pm
Check-out: 10:00 am
Minimum age of primary renter:25
100% refund if cancelled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if cancelled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Family reunion in a place that was eclectic, but interesting and charming.
The house is evidently more than a hundred years old. With the many antique furnishings it was somewhat akin to staying in a museum, though we found it warm and inviting and a nice place to sit and relax with its many nooks and crannies where we could each find our own space when desiried. It was difficult determining the functionality of some of the electrical switches as they were not all marked. We would have liked a coffeepot with a bigger capacity that we didn't have to fill so often, but the house is beautiful with a European charm that we appreciated very much.
It was awesome
We had so much fun there
Great Place to get away!
We were very happy with Serendipity Acres! We had read all of the reviews so we pretty much knew what to expect. The only thing that might help someone that we were not exactly sure of was how far the water was from the house. If you have any elderly people with your group it is quite a hike! But it was a great place.
Beautiful property and home. Perfect for a relaxing vacation. Loved the private dock. Really enjoyed walking the grounds.
Amazing house and Property!
Been vacationing in Virginia for years now and this home was by far the best! Firstly, the house is spectacular. From the awesome kitchen (with all the gourmet bells and whistles) to the neat and quirky decor to the grounds. Everything was better than the pictures. Its secluded and private. Our dogs could not get enough of the front yard. Check-in was a breeze. The private dock was cool too. Crabbing on your own dock? That was a first for us and the only way to go now. We took so many pictures, our whole family was so jealous and already making plans to come with us next year! Will definitely be planning a return trip next summer(more than likely with a few extra guests). Thanks so much Betty & Anthony for sharing your beautiful country house. Loved every second of it!
Terry & Allison
Spacious, Quiet, Stylish, Fun...
In winter: come for the magnificent fireplaces, cozy kitchen, comfy/chic furniture, interesting and comfortable architecture, opportunities to tromp about and not see another human. We loved our stay and we would come back!
Serendipity Acres is on Virginia's Oyster and Wine Trails. It is a four bedroom, three and a half bathroom English Country House on 23 acres of open and wooded land that backs up to a private dock with access to scenic and peaceful Lowery Creek. Our private waterfront on Lowery Creek allows for quick access to the Rappahannock and Corrotoman Rivers as well as the Chesapeake Bay. Guests of Serendipity Acres have exclusive use of the property's private 75 foot dock, as well as bicycles, stand up paddle boards, a canoe, and a tandem kayak throughout your stay. To enjoy Lowery Creek, take a leisurely stroll through our private woodland - just 100 yards away from the house.
Relax on the dock with a bottle of wine and picnic lunch with a loved one and take in the calm of the water as you watch the osprey and eagles fly overhead. Or put on your hiking boots and traverse the quiet forest. Be on the look out for wild turkey and the occasional deer or fox as the sun peeks through the majestic trees. If you feel like walking the open land, take your dog and explore the 23 acres of open fields, the red barn, and sit on a bale of hay and breathe.
If you are up for adventure and a gastronomic excursion, get in your car and take the Merry Point Ferry. A free ferry since its start in 1847, the Merry Point Ferry is an echo of the past because it is the last of two free powered, cable car ferries in operation. It crosses the Corrotoman River regularly! Take the ferry and drive to The Old Farm Truck where you can pick up locally grown vegetables, fresh milk, meats, and baked goods. From there, make your way to our favorite winery, The Dog and Oyster Vineyard in Irvington, for a delightful wine tasting and tour of the vineyard. Mosey into charming small town Kilmarnock and explore the antique shops, local art galleries, trendy boutiques, and restaurants. If you want to watch the boats and enjoy fine dining at a predominately outdoor restaurant, save your appetites for our favorite restaurant - Merroir in Topping.
Pining to get out but want to stay within a mile of Serendipity Acres? Powerboat or bike just 1 mile to the Yankee Point Marina, order a burger and beer, and watch the boats come in!
Whether you are in the mood for adventure or just simple relaxation, Serendipity Acres is the ideal place to gather family and friends.
Please check out our one minute video for aerial footage of Serendipity Acres.
- Accommodations for approximately seven to eight guests
- NEW (2014) Private 75 ft dock
- NEW (2014) Kitchen with Wolf stove, Kitchen Aid double oven, Bosch dishwasher, SubZero refrigerator, new microwave, new potfiller, new farmhouse sink, new (2015) SubZero wine refrigerator; ENTIRE kitchen and appliances renovated
- Three full bathrooms and a powder room with NEW (2014) sinks, toilets, and heated towel racks
- NEW (2014) hardwood floors on main level
- NEW (2014) double doors
- NEW (2015) painted porch and screens
- NEW (2014) windows
- NEW (2014) fireplace closures
- Two MASSIVE wood burning fireplaces
- HD satellite television with digital surround sound in great room
- High speed internet
- Dog friendly; dog toys on premises for guests
- 23 acres of land, wooded area backs up to private 75 foot dock on serene Lowery Creek
- Tandem kayak, canoe, three kick boards, three single speed bicycles, two mountain bicycles included (cold weather restrictions apply)
- A quarter mile to the historic and operational Merry Point Ferry
- Just over one mile to Yankee Point Marina, a full service marina, with lunch and dinner options
- Courtyard seating for four
- Screened in porch dining for ten
- Screened in porch seating for three includes 2 wicker chairs and 1 Adirondack chair
- Propane gas grill
- Charcoal grill
- Dual zone AC/Heat
Activities and Attractions:
- Paddle, fish, swim, tandem kayak, canoe, from our private dock on Lowery Creek
- Explore our 23 acres of open land and forest
- Bike a little over 1 mile from Serendipity Cottage to Yankee Point Marina for lunch or dinner and watch the boats come in
- Shop/Antique in Irvington, Kilmarnock, and Lively
- Buy food locally at The Old Farm Truck for organic and locally grown vegetables, meats, home made baked goods, and fresh milk
- Dine at Merroir, The Corner, Hope and Glory Inn, The Tides Inn, Nate's Trick Dog Cafe, Carwash Cafe, Northern Neck Burger
- Imbibe and follow the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail; stop at our favorite The Dog and Oyster Vineyard in Irvington
- Cycle the Northern Neck Heritage Trail Bicycling Route
- Take a Tangier Island Cruise
- Experience Virginia Garden Week, Turkey Shoot Regatta (October), Urbanna Oyster Festival (November), Virginia Wine Week (March)
- Visit Belle Isle State Park, Washington's birthplace, Lee Family's Stratford Hall, and Christ Church
- Golf at the Golden Eagle and King Carter courses