Sleeps 6 - 8: 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths (with 1 Shower)
- english, french
About Jane Gijsbers
We hope Sunset Cottage will provide years of memories for our family and guests.
Jane Gijsbers purchased this Cottage in 2008
Why Jane Gijsbers chose Macatawa
After vacationing in Macatawa, we absolutely fell in love with the community and location. It's not too far from our home, making it a perfect weekend getaway. As soon as you make the turn up the dune you feel like you're in a different world, even though Holland is just ten minutes away. The incredible sugar-sand private beach and amazing views from the deck make Sunset Cottage an ideal escape. Built in 1895, our renovated cottage has a historical lake house feel with all the comforts of home.
What makes this Cottage unique
Sleep 'til you wake. Enjoy your coffee on the deck as the sun rises over the dunes. Go fishing off the pier (or not). Stroll along the shoreline or hike through the wooded trails. Rent a bike, a jet ski or boat. Read a magazine. Have a light lunch. What to do next? Golf? Tennis? Shopping? Relaxing? Take the convenient backpack chairs down to the beach and read a romantic novel. Build a sandcastle. Fly a kite. Play Frisbee or body-surf on a windy day. Play cards or do a puzzle. Dinnertime. Grill. View the Lake and the sunset from your table. Contemplate what to do the next day.
100% refund if cancelled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if cancelled at least 7 days before arrival date.
Damage and incidentals
Max guests: 8 (sleeps up to 6 adults)
Minimum age of primary renter: 30
- No Beach Fires Allowed, No Sparklers or Fireworks, No Candles
- No Smoking cigarettes, including electronic cigarettes or vaping on Deck or Surrounding Property
- No Loud Music, Quiet Hours in Neighborhood after 10pm
Perfect Lake Vacation Stay
The view is everything! Breakfast and sunsets on the deck were wonderful. We had a sandy beach within a short walk and could not have been happier with the accommodations. There were seven of us, and the kitchen was stocked with everything we could have needed. There were even beach chairs, toys and kayaks for us to borrow. Having on-site laundry was a huge bonus. Jane was easy to reach with questions ahead of the stay. And the area was perfect for us. We explored Douglas, Saugatuck, South Haven and the adorable Holland. For kids, we would recommend blueberry picking at one of the local farms, the Nelis Dutch Farm, Critter Barn and a 2 hr sailing trip out of Saugatuck.
Nice, but many concerns
We recently stayed at Sunset Cottage. The home is magazine worthy, furnished and updated to maintain the character of the 1800’s architecture it possesses. The home is well maintained, but we feel it was not clearly represented in the listing. There are some deficiencies which were not straightforwardly addressed. Had we known of these issues, we would have selected another home. We would not recommend this home for older adults, or for young children for safety reasons.
We are a middled-aged couple and we are active and like to walk. We have rented countless VRBO/HA properties, without issue. This home posed some definite challenges for us:
1) The photos shown on the internet do not reveal the 32 steps up a narrow staircase to the kitchen. One can barely spot the staircase in the internet pictures because photo is taken where a tree blocks all but the lowest exterior stairs. The photos don't convey the steepness/narrowness of the exterior stairway.The very narrow stairwell makes it difficult to carry luggage and groceries up 32 stairs. It is almost impossible to open the basement door if you are carrying anything -very narrow/step.
2) There are no handrails on two very steep and narrow stairwells. Near the bottom of the exterior stairway the handrail ends with 7 concrete steps to negotiate without benefit of a handrail. The steps are steep. The house sits right on the roadway with no setback, and a very narrow road. One of us fell off the step into the road.
3) None of the bedrooms are on the main floor. One is in a loft and two are in the basement. Both require steep and narrow stairs to access. Again, no handrail down 10+ steps.
4) While the listing shows 2 bathrooms, only one has a shower. The other has a tiny toddler tub. Impractical to accommodate more than 4 people comfortably in this home. Because of that, we advised our family members not to travel up to join us. There is no bathroom in the loft, so you would need to go down to the main floor for bathroom runs.
5) There is a new house being built right outside the bedroom window. Work starts early 7:00 AM. This was not disclosed on the internet.
6) Cable TV very limited: no World Cup soccer
7) The deck (32 steps up) overlooking Lake Michigan, but the extremely close proximity of the neighbors meant we had to listen to neighbor's a/c vs. Lake.
We have rented 2 other homes in Macatawa Park and for about same cost, were provided homes in easier location, twice the size.
It’s unfortunate the reviewer expressed concerns about their stay at Sunset Cottage. In response to this review, we respectfully disagree. We have rented our cottage since purchasing and renovating it in 2008. Since that time we have only received positive feedback. In fact many of our guests come back year after year. As a historic home in Macatawa built into a sand dune in the 1890s it is a vertical cottage with four levels: a cellar for storing outdoor items, the 1st level (which is incorrectly referred to as a “basement” by the reviewer), the 2nd level which is the main living/kitchen/dining space with a large deck, and the 3rd level which is a sleeping loft. There are two bathrooms, one of which has a shower and the other a standard size tub. We have had groups of up to eight stay in the home comfortably without issue in the past. All of this is clearly explained in our listing with many photos. We try to communicate with guests beforehand to make sure the home will be a good fit for their party. On occasion we’ve had potential guests with mobility issues or with young children ask about stairs and we have explained that if they have elderly people with physical challenges or very young children, the house may not be a good fit for them. It is a four level home so of course there are stairs. The stairs are safe, not steep and the treads are standard depth. In regard to the early construction noise across the street, as soon as we were alerted to it on the first day, we notified the owner who apologized and stopped the work being done. As far as problems with watching the World Cup, we instructed the reviewer how to find it on cable to which they replied they had it worked out. We watched the USA Women’s team win ourselves there the following week. In summary, we strive to provide a comfortable cottage with many updated amenities and we want our guests to enjoy it and have a wonderful vacation!
sunset et al
we LOVE this home
Have been coming here for over 10 years NEVER any problems or issues Tom and Jane are very responsive with answers The home and views are the best Lake Michigan AND Lake Macatawa are on your deck Sunsets from your living room
Rooms are open and very well appointed
This home and location will make lasting memories
Well equipped and amazing views!
This beautiful home has everything, is wonderfully decorated, very functional and practical, and views of Lake Michigan that make it hard to want to go anywhere else! Very peaceful, the beach is a short jaunt away and is private so it is quiet and not crowded at all - yet you can walk for miles if you would like and one of Lake Michigan's famous lighthouses is just a stones throw down the beach. Great place for convenient biking, tennis, and a marina, and less than 10 minutes to downtown holland or to saugatuck. It really has it all.