Light And Airy Living Area With 2 Bedrooms And Bathroom Sleeps 4.
- english, french
About Jane Marston
My husband worked as an architect in Cumbria for twenty seven years but always wanted to do something more physical in the sunshine. We had already bought La Petite Grange which we imagined we would retire into. In 2009 Alan had the chance to do something different, so he moved to the Ardèche with a view to building and converting properties which we would run as gites. He lived in La Petite Grange whilst he restored it and we then bought the other part of the building, La Magnanerie, from our neighbour so that we could let out La Petite Grange and live in La Magnanerie whilst we built our new home. Alan spent the next year converting La Magnanerie and we lived there very happily for two years before moving into our new house in the summer of 2013. Alan's next project is a further barn conversion on the other side of the village so he certainly has his work cut out for him!
Jane Marston purchased this House in 2009
Why Jane Marston chose Lablachère
It is light and airy with fantastic views in all directions and just a wonderful place to live.
What makes this House unique
When we first walked into La Magnanerie we could see a beautiful space with shafts of light coming through the (then rotten) shutters. Opening them up was a magical moment as the space was so light and airy, with wonderful views. An old stove was rusted up against a wall. The owner told us how his family had been evacuated to La Magnanerie during the war and the stove was his mother's only source for cooking and heating water. He kindly gave us the stove which we have since cleaned up and is in the living area. We have since converted La Magnanerie and lived there for two years. The first floor has a feeling of light, openness and space and the terrace provides a large outside space with lovely views (and particularly lovely sunsets). Upstairs is more cosy with limited headroom.
Check-in: 4:00 pm
Check-out: 10:00 am
A cot and a highchair may be available
100% refund if cancelled at least 60 days before arrival date.
An Ardeche delight
Extremely comfortable and well equipped with a spacious living area and lovely terrace for warm evenings. Above all made special by the care, warmth and hospitality of the owners Jane and Alan.
Fantastic property with an amazing view from the balcony. Only wish it had a swimming pool.
A lovely little property with an amazing view from the balcony area. We loved the kitchen area. There is much to do in this vibrant area, the villages, markets, rivers and eating areas. The only issue is that the head room space in the property upstairs is small, so great if you are little people like us, but not so if you are closer to 6ft! like my son! I also would not recommend this property for young children, due to the staircase, steps and glass door. However, if you are looking for a view, a beautiful area and lovely hosts, then this is the space for you. We had an amazing time and shared the other part of the house with friends which also is great if you are a team of 8. Well worth a visit if you wish to explore the beauty of the Ardeche. Thank you for the hospitality. We loved our time here in the Ardeche.
We're so glad you enjoyed your holiday. I just wanted to say that we often have young children staying with us at La Magnanerie as there are child safety gates at the top of each set of stairs. We hope to see you again in the Ardèche in future years.
Well appointed holiday home
Lovely location with beautiful views and sunsets over the Ardeche and Cevennes mountains. The owners were very helpful but discreet. There are low beams upstairs but it added to the rustic charm of the gite. The local boulangerie in Lablachere center was excellent and the market at Joyeuse was amazingly large and well supported. The area exceeded our expectations and is added to the list of one of our top five places we have stayed in France over the last 25 years. The road outside is reasonably busy but the outlook from the veranda made up for that. Labeaume, Vogue, Lac de Villefort, La Garde Guerin and of course Pont D'Arc are essential visits.
Comfortable, clean and perfect home from home
Fantastic location for exploring the surrounding areas. Brilliant communication from the owners always respondsing very quickly to help with any enquiries. Very clean comfortable house with everything you may need for your stay. Wonderful views from the terrace overlooking vineyards. Would definately recommend.
I'm glad you enjoyed it Mandy - come again!
French home away from home
My husband and I came to stay in the Ardeche in April and picked La Magnanerie as we wanted the joys of the countryside, whilst being able to easily wander into the little towns of Lablachere and Joyeuse for the markets and meals out without always having to drive everywhere.
The house is lovely, cosy: a real home away from home. I love the mix of traditional French local architecture with the stone building and the wonderful job the owners have done of renovating it to include all of the modern amenities without losing the building's character. The rustic open kitchen and living space is excellent - love the beams and comfy sofas - and you can't really beat views over French countryside on three sides!
The bedrooms are cosy and light, with wooden floors and low sloped ceilings. You can hear a bit of traffic noise in the master bedroom at times, but it's mainly during the day so not really an issue - the area is really quiet at night time.
The large terrace that adjoins the living space was a huge selling point for us - it's a stunning place to sit and enjoy a meal or just relax, and it gets a fabulous sunset view every night over the vineyards.
The owners, Alan & Jane, were really friendly and helpful, along with the huge info pack in the house - there's so much to do in this area! We can highly recommend kayaking down the Ardèche and the market at Les Vans.
All in all a fantastic holiday - can't wait to come back next year hopefully!
Lovely little place
The gite was clean and comfortable and the owners were very helpful. Located in a good spot in between Lablanchere and Joyeuese, it was nice to have a few provisions like tea bags, soaps, washing powder etc and the bottle of wine was appreciated! As there is an upstairs and downstairs gite, it's also ideal for 2 families holidaying together.
La Magnanerie is situated almost half way between Lablachère and Joyeuse in the South of the Ardèche.
• Lablachère has three boulangeries, two cafés, a hotel, an award winning charcuterie/boucherie, an épicerie, a takeaway pizzeria, greengrocers and our local cave which sells award winning wines. Markets are held every Sunday.
Lablachère houses La Perle D'Eau, a spectacular new swimming pool complex and has a large playground with tennis court and pétanque courts.
• Joyeuse is an ancient small market town with an old town containing craft shops, restaurants, Musée de la Chataignerie and House of Caricatures. Markets are held every Wednesday and craft markets on Sunday evenings in the summer.
• The Ardèche is an unspoilt area with stupendous mountains and gorges and views to die for!
• Close to some of the “most beautiful villages of France” including Balazuc, Naves and Vogue.
• Close to La Caverne du Pont D'Arc Ardeche (formerly called La Grotte Chauvet) - a UNESCO heritage site.
• Superb base for exploring the Cevennes Mountains and National Park, the Camargue, Provence, the Mediterranean coast and the Alps.
• Nearby stunning grottoes at the Aven d'Orgnac and the Grotte de la Cocalière
• Local outdoor activities – canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, bouldering, walking, cycling, mountain biking, canyoning, caving, paragliding, swimming, horse riding, tennis, boules, high wires, skiing, golf, pétanque and bird-watching.
• Bois de Païolive, amazing primeval forest of white oaks and petrified rocks with labyrinth walks
• Gastronomy, fine wines and local produce, regular markets and wine tastings.
• Carrefour supermarket in Joyeuse. Netto supermarket in Lablachère. Intermarché and Lidl supermarkets at Rosières. Super-U Hypermarket at Ruoms and Les Vans and LeClerc at La Chapelle sous Aubenas.
• Aubenas is our nearest large town with an abundance of individual shops and a beautiful chateau which is open to visit.