Cozy Tiny House, Convenient To Downtown Hburg, WiFi, TV, Patio, Firepit
Owner / Property Manager
Check-in: 4:00 pm
Check-out: 10:00 am
100% refund if cancelled at least 60 days before arrival date.
My friend, dog and I stayed at this home for a few days so we could explore the Shenandoah Valley Park. There are a lot of cute things to do in the area including a great cafe (The Black Cow) and a few cute breweries. The home was very clean and allowed dogs with a fee. It is definitely a tiny home so the staircase and bathroom were somewhat difficult to navigate, but overall it was a nice place to visit for a decent price. I wouldn't stay in a tiny home again, but would recommend this to people who are okay in smaller spaces.
It was relaxing and refreshing. That is what I was looking for.
The place was clean. The interior was tastefully decorated. It was comfortable and warm while wet and blustery outside. It was an excellent get away for me.
Don't Waste Your Money or Time
We should have read the previous guest's review...
My fiancé and I were at the location for 15 minutes, and that was only because I was on my cell calling a hotel.
We contacted the owner that we would be later than the 4pm check in. He responded that check in is flexible- we thought we were off to a good start.
First, the site does not explain the fact that the house is actually in (presumably) the owners' back yard between their home and garage. Your views will be of them/their belongings- with a shared driveway.
2. The entry stairs (and everything there) lacks maintenance. But they weren't hazardous or too concerning.
3. Upon entry, the first thing you notice is the odor. My fiancé actually had to walk back out of the house to catch his breath. Very stale, musty, and stagnant smelling.
4. The second thing noticed immediately was the heat. There was one, very small, window AC unit upstairs. It did not work. My fiancé is a contractor and observed that it was an old unit and not capable of cooling the home even if it was working properly.
5. The interior stairs do not seem safe- they shake and the whole staircase moves as you climb them.
6. BUGS. The kitchen was swarming with gnats and mosquitoes.
7. The fridge had open food. This is actually a nice thing when renting- having condiments. However, the open box of hamburgers in the freezer was unnecessary.
Overall, if the home had proper and functioning AC, we likely would have stayed. (I believe AC would help with the odor.) Also, it's upsetting that the owner has not responded to our message about the disappointing experience.
BAIT AND SWITCH! We paid to be their maid.
1. The first review from Sara W. is by the owner! Don't be duped. It was the only review available when I booked. It's lying and the place isn't up to snuff. For the owner to pretend to be a satisfied customer is pretty pathetic.
2. I and my fiance were required to sign a contract specifying OTHER FEES NOT MENTIONED IN THE VRBO CONTRACT, that cleared the property owner of cleaning or maintaining their property. We were not told about these other fees UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE WE TRAVELED. No opportunity to back out, we already had other prepaid expenses. How's that for a vacation? The day you check out you better be prepared to wash all the sheets and towels (you'd better hope they're done in the dryer and back on the bed by 11:00). I have raised this issue to VRBO's attention, as it's downright fraud. I can't stress this enough.
3. The property was filthy. There was a brown fecal mark in the toilet. Dead insects everywhere except for in the abundant amounts of spiderwebs. Limescale in the shower. The AC was so clogged full of entrapped dust, the entire place smelled like a wet sock. When they tried (and failed) to fix it, they just stuck a dryer sheet in the AC to "fix" the smell. Do you enjoy cleaning someone else's food residue off of "clean" kitchenware? I sure don't.
I raised these issues to the attention of the owners, who had they not been too lazy to clean their own property it would have pre-empted the issue altogether, but they barely addressed two of the list of 7 things I told them about. It took them 15 hours to respond.
SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE and look for a better-maintained property.
cute and cozy
Here's my list of pros and cons.
PROS: Very affordable, well decorated, nice open layout, well stocked kitchen (surprising, because it's just a kitchenette, but I swear it was the best stocked rental I've stayed at yet), quick refund of our damage deposit, very comfortable bed, plenty of cleaning supplies and toilet paper.
CONS: It is tiny (my husband isn't huge, but on the taller side and the bathroom especially felt cramped for him), the staircase is pretty, but felt a little rickety (I would not have felt comfortable to have my toddler or preschooler stay with us in this house because of the stairs), You will be responsible to do the laundry and cleaning before you check out ( this was okay with us, but it's not noted on the webpage so I thought people should be aware) and the washer and dryer are in a separate (none air conditioned) building, so that was a little less than ideal, but not a deal breaker, for us anyway.
Overall, we had a pleasant time and enjoyed our short stay at this property.