Light and Bright Apartment, Sleeps 6, Close to all the city centres main sites
- english, Danish
About jeff thornton
Married with 2 teenage kids. I love to travel and am fond of the outdoors and am a keen runner, cyclist and have recently taken up golf
jeff thornton purchased this Apartment in 2006
Why jeff thornton chose Old Town
Edinburgh is one of Europe's most beautiful cities, it is full of history (a castle, a palace, museums aplenty), it has culture abound with numerous festivals, theatres and a world famous comedy Fringe Festival in the summer, it is a great place for venturing out on a golfing trip, country walks in the Pentland Hills are only a few miles away and Edinburgh is a great springboard for a trip to the Scottish Highlands. Edinburgh really does have it all. I fell in love with Edinburgh the moment I arrived here. This property is ideally situated in the heart of the city centre.
What makes this Apartment unique
Its location is second to non. Guests can walk to all the major city centre attractions from the flat. The flat is well decorated, spacious enough for 6 guests.
100% refund if cancelled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if cancelled at least 14 days before arrival date.
Great location. Responsive host
Nice, but...there are some issues that can be rectified.
1. Flat was on the third floor - in European terms, this actually means the 4th floor in American terms. This was only a minor issue.
2. The Ground floor, as understood in European terms, is made up of shops, pubs, restaurants, etc. In this case, one has closing hours of 2 am and the other has closing hours of 3 am, apparently. Needless to say, the patrons continued their partying outside of the respective establishments for approximately 15 - 30 minutes at the respective times. This situation could be rectified by possibly putting in sealed or double-pane windows - would also help the heating/cooling. The ones we installed in our home cut down the outside noise considerably.
3. A minor issue, there is no TV in the flat.
4. The washing machine needs to be cleaned - as we found out at our home, this needs to be done on at least a monthly basis. Use either bleach or the prescribed cleaning tablets designed for front loaders.
5. The room were decent;y sized, as were the bathrooms. This is a real plus. The sofas were comfortable to sit in.
6. This is a minor issue, as it couldn't be heard in the flat - the smoke detector battery needed to be replaced - it was periodically beeping - couldn't be identified as to it's exact location however. As we were on a two-day tour for most of time we rented the flat, it was not a real issue - just slightly annoying.
1. The location of this flat is nice - bus transportation is readily available - just a minute or two away. The Edinburgh railway station is 15 minutes away. The tram to the airport is approximately 10 minutes away as well.
2. There are a couple of good restaurants within a 2 minute walk. There is a grocery store approximately 10 minutes away, walking.
3. The size of the flat is fine.
4. Replacing the windows with a more sound-deadening model would greatly enhance our rating to at least a 4, as would the provision of a TV.
5. There is a real nice park nearby. This is a plus!
6 Edinburgh Castle and environs are a short walk away as well! A nice plus!
Proprietario difficile da contattare e appartamento poco confortevole
Ho avuto difficoltà a mettermi in contatto con il proprietario: non ho potuto subito contattarlo sul cellulare (il numero visualizzato sul portale Homeaway era sbagliato) e neanche ha risposto subito alle mail; solo dopo sollecitazione dell'Assistenza tecnica sono finalmente riuscita a comunicare con lui, anche se comunque con grande fatica e dopo un bel po' di tempo. L'appartamento era poco pulito (moquette sporca, capelli nelle lenzuola, pulizia della zona cottura discutibile). Inoltre, pur avendo prenotato l'appartamento per 6 persone, non erano disponibili le lenzuola per il divano letto e solo dopo parecchi tentativi per metterci in contatto con il proprietario e dopo molte ore, alle 10 di sera un suo collaboratore ce ne ha portato un paio. Dormire nel divano letto è stato comunque arduo: il materasso era di una gommapiuma molto sottile e dalle finestre del soggiorno prive di tapparelle è filtrata la luce sin dalle prime ore della giornata. L'appartamento è dotato di sole 4 sedie e quindi 2 persone hanno dovuto sedersi su un tavolino. Inoltre, le fotografie dell'appartamento l'hanno fatto apparire ben più grande di quanto non fosse. La posizione dell'appartamento è invece molto centrale, anche se questo si trova al terzo piano senza ascensore con una rampa di scale abbastanza ripida. Per quanto riguarda le dotazioni, nella cucina vi erano le pentole necessarie (una padella in più però sarebbe stata utile!) ed erano disponibili alcune cibarie, forse lasciate da precedenti clienti (aceto, zucchero, caffè solubile, corn flakes, un pacco di pasta...). Mancava però completamente il bagno schiuma, disponibile invece shampoo e balsamo per i capelli. Per chiudere con una nota a favore, il proprietario, una volta rintracciato (a fatica) ci ha consentito di lasciare i bagagli nell'appartamento qualche ora prima e dopo il check in/out. Io comunque tenendo conto di tutto, non consiglierei questa soluzione
I am sorry that you were not totally happy with your stay but I think it worth clarifying a couple of matters.
The listing description is very clear regarding the size of the apartment, the number of dining chairs provided and the number of flights of stairs to get to the flat, I am sorry that none of these matters was to your satisfaction however
they are all detailed and accurate.
I am unaware of any telephone issues, I have checked the listing details and the correct number is shown, when I received the information regarding the missing sheet I arranged for it to be delivered and it was with you within an hour. This was a genuine mistake by the cleaning contractor and I have now changed the company I use to prevent a similar occurrence.
Regarding bubblebath, and food products, again these are not noted in the description but I do provide shampoo and conditioner and some basic foodstuff as a goodwill gesture,(tea, coffee, cooking oil etc), guests are expected to buy there own food should they wish to cook for themselves
This apartment is situated in Edinburgh city centre. Edinburgh is one of Europe's most beautiful cities with many cultural and site seeing events to attend all year round. Edinburgh Castle is on view from Grindlay Street and there are 3 live theatres within 200m of the apartment. In Edinburgh the summer months are busy due to the many festivals ongoing including the International Book Festival, Science Festival, International Festival and the world famous Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Festival.
There are many bars, cafes and quality restaurants within easy walking distance of the apartment, including on the adjacent Lothian Road and the famous Grassmarket